Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: picture quality

rsambuca

picture quality

???

Since Mpeg4 is a much more efficient codec, the benefit is that you can have lower bitrates than mpeg2 without decreasing quality. Presumably bitrates will go down upon mpeg4 conversion.

peano

picture quality

Ok, I'll retract the "down". It still looks like crap when they convert it. And Fox and ABC in 720p natively don't look that great even OTA. 720p just looks soft on any TV I've seen.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

picture quality

I know Bell's rate for HD channels of 8-9 mbps is not that good and causes the picture to be less sharp, but also I'm starting to think the poor pq on some channels is also network related. I watched Heroes tonight on NBCHE and the pq of Heroes was not very sharp at all and full of macroblocking. Any type of movement on a darker background showed all types of blocking artifacts. However, any HD commercials that were aired during Heroes looked good, way better then the actual show looked. Kind of weird how that happens. Still hoping there is in increase in pq come Wednesday though. Big Bang Theory and HIMYM looked soft tonight. Other shows have sparkling lines (NHL on TSN Versus feed more so the problem), but could also be an issue of less bandwith unable to process the full detail. I guess we'll se what happens Wednesday. I wish they would tell us which channels will switch when.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

picture quality

oh and forgot. Just because 1080 is more lines then 720p doesn't mean its inferior 1080i interlaced 30frames a second. 720progressive 6o frames a second

jumpy27

picture quality

Fast motion of players and the HD cameras will always result in blur no matter how many pixels you have.

24 in HD has been very grainy the last few shows for some reason even with Shaw HD (which is sharper than Bell's HD), so it is not Bell at fault in this case. I don't know if it is because most of the shots are at night, but even inside shots that are well lit are very grainy as well.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

picture quality

Hey markb, I also find 1080i to be the choice resolution. I have my 9200 HD PVR set to 1080i, and I did test 720p also but I still prefer 1080i overall.
    I am sending this to my 60" kuro which has some of the best de-interlacing out there.
    I still have some movies on my PVR from 2 years ago or so and the PQ is stunning, but this was when BEV was sending out 1080i.

Will BEV exec's never see the light ......QUALITY OVER QUANTITY, what do I care if you have reached 100 HD channels (1st ever in Canada) when 1/2 of those channels look like S**T.

Paul

Paul

mickk

picture quality

i think the only way you will notice a piture quality improvment is if your using an old 2700/4100 IRD to somthing current. i even notice a little improment from going from a 2700 to a 3100

Kittys

picture quality

Maybe record the HDNet test patterns that are on Saturday mornings. Then go to the resolution patterns and switch the Bell receiver from 720P to 1080i see if you can see a difference. Even though Bell broadcasts in 720P my sets seem to prefer 1080i as the lines are clear and defined in 1080i, but in 720P as the lines get closer together they kinda "mush" together more.

granduncle

picture quality

It has been shown (after Bell switched to the new encoders) that (re-)encoding they do is real time, regardless of programming.
    Even the same movie shown on PPV for weeks can have completely different bitrate at different times.
    Therefore, discussing picture quality only makes sense when discussing the same program at the same time.

wassaby

picture quality

i have the 6100 receiver and i was just wondering if the picture quality on the newer receivers are better or not.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information