Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 30 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: picture quality

tdti1

picture quality

Bell has been given the name compressvu for a reason, basically history repeats itself, the SD was ok when Bell first launched there satellite service, then it was so bad that many could not stand it, the HD is no different, they started putting HD on it was ok, then boom it's getting bad and will get worse.

nicohockey9

picture quality

I was talking strictly HD though, are the HD American Superstations also on the 91 satelite?

Pinza

picture quality

If you have a shared Dish then your using a Stacked Feed from the Roof to each unit. At each TV there will be a de-stacker to bring the frquencies back to a level the receiver can handle. There should not be any kind of "Booster Box" in your suite, that would be in a panel/closet in the building. I think what you see is the de-stacker.

What do you mean by ?

If it is the de-stacker, this is how it works, by going from that unit to the Receiver then from the receiver to the TV. There is a second output from the de-stacker that carries OTA signals that can be connected directly to the TV's coax input, for OTA signals.

nicohockey9

picture quality

For those of you saying RushHD is just OK, you must have very detailed vision because these channels are the best HD probally from any providor i've seen around quebec.

shingdaz

picture quality

I never knew of re-encoding being done in real time> Since you stated it changes regardless of it being the same program, then that is why there can be changes in consistency on some channels and broadcasts from time to time.

Is there a reson to re-encode in real time as compared to just sending a decent quality signal.

Also, I understand Bell has been talking about Mpeg4 capability with the newer boxes 9142 etc> Is this only for HD programming? Or could be be availble for SD prgraming as well> I would think it would mostly benefit the later.

rosenqui

picture quality

What's really sad is that the CRTC has format and quality requirements in their digital TV regulations, yet they do nothing when a distributor like Bell flagrantly defies the requirements by transcoding channels and reducing their bit rate.

picture quality

What new System?

BTV sends all channels as 720P, not 780P. Your post was moved to this thread.

Suggest you stick with Cogeco unless you have some other specific reason to switch.

jumpy27

picture quality

I can overlook macroblocking on fast scenes which are usually short in duration, but it is hard to overlook blurry images on static scenes which last for minutes at a time. I tend to watch TSNHD and SNHD on Bell for sports, and TV shows/movies with Shaw. Even though HD is a big improvement over SD, HD is not perfect with any provider.

FunkyTown

picture quality

I've got both of mine (9241 & 9242) set at 1080i. Both are plugged into my Denon Receiver which then directs the feed into my Pioneer Elite plasma. Until I finish watching all of the recordings on the 9241 I'm leaving it in the living room connected to the same exact system. The HDMI on the 9242 is very bright. Black looks more like gray, and it's blotchy. Sort of looks over-compressed. I don't see this at all with the 9241. Maybe I've got a bad 9242, but it is brand new.

I'll try the 720p to see if it makes a difference. When Bell installed my 9241 the guy set it to 1080i which is why I set the 9242 to 1080i.

QCK

picture quality

They are using SD equipment for the English feed. It seems anytime there are 3 games on CBC in the same day the afternoon game will be braodcast in SD. At least this has been the norm this season.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information