Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 30 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: picture quality

gmd

picture quality

Took 70 minutes to get the voicemail notification on Bell at lunch time today (Saturday). Never seen this be more than 7 seconds with Telus.

-gmd

Korak

picture quality

Now, if we could just get Bell to stop saying "with stunning HD picture quality".

jfplay

picture quality

Just started with Bell on Monday and after some initial hiccups, everything is running quite well. Compared to Rogers the PQ and PVR are big upgrades...

But...the PQ on TSN and TSN2HD aren't so hot...in fact they're the only channels that are worse than Rogers. Anyone else notice these don't look so hot?

Unfortunate for a sports nut.

picture quality

It's a bit tricky testing for which is better - don't confuse "smooth and accurate" with "crisp and inaccurate". The latter is part of the reason that many people are "impressed" by the default picture mode on their TVs - lots of edge enhancements and sharpness, but an inaccurate picture.

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87543 On Upconversion

A good example is people's hair. When properly optimized you can usually see the individual hairs on a person's head, whereas a TV that's got lots of edge enhancements will show more like "clumps" of hair, instead of individual hairs and those "clumps" look crisp, but once you see the individual hairs, you see what you've been missing.

jumpy27

picture quality

The game was broadcast in widescreen SD, not HD. As was the Calgary/Minnesota game. Only the Leafs/Bruins game was in HD. The second game is usually HD, but CBC must have ran out of HD trucks that weekend.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

picture quality

So just how bad is Bell's HD PQ, well for the first time last night I decided to stick in a DVD just to see what the quality of a regular DVD looked like and the picture quality of the DVD was easily comparable, if not slightly better then Bell's HD quality, which is quite poor. I remember when I first had HD where the quality was really good, then came DVD, then SD, now on my set it's BluRay/PS3, then DVD, then Bell HD, then over the air SD, then Bell SD. I didn't realize how good my tv would display SD signals until I hooked up an over the air antenna and the quality is way better then Bell's SD.

picture quality

There's a helluva lot of misinformation in the previous few posts. Let my post some facts to straighten out some misconceptions:

1. Rogers does not convert the formats (say 720P to 1080i). The formats are passed to the STB by the head end without any format conversion. Here's the FAQ on HDTV formats with more info on the topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=76129

2. Rogers STBs in Ontario can passthrough the native format, be it 720P or 1080i directly to the TV.

3. BTV convert all 1080i channels to 720p, therefore I usually recommend setting the STB to 720P to eliminate one further conversion, however, I also recommend people try both 720P and 1080i to see what they prefer. Here's the FAQ on upconversion:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=87543

And Native TV formats, which can have an impact:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=73528

4. 720P uses about 10% less bandwidth than 1080i and that's why BTV does it - with 100 HD channels 10% is a lot of bandwidth.

5. BTV's average bitrate for the HD channels is about 10 Mbps, while Rogers does no compresson on most of their channels and "only" compresses some of the channels. Even the channels that Rogers does compress, typically have a higher bitrate than what you get from BTV - see the following thread on that topic:

http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=104501

HT gearhead

picture quality

Bell is definitely soft in the PQ department. I was at FS the other day and they had Shaw digital on one of the displays and did a double take when I saw how much better HDNET looked on Shaw vs Bell. I've already seen how good it looks on Star Choice. Too bad Shaw won't set up cable in our little Hamlet even though the main pipeline runs right next to it on the highway on it's way to the base. I wouldn't mind a cable/internet package. It would be cheaper than a separate wireless ISP and satellite provider. Any word on when SC's new PVR is coming out yet?

Pinza

picture quality

As of right now there are no HD channels on 91.

Nimiq USA

picture quality

happy friday, mates! don't rush buying the lastest receivers from bell now. BEV controls the bitrate at their data center. The only things you can do are hdmi & svideo.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information