Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    alebowgm

What will Bell do with the new Nimiq 5 satellite?

Any delay is possible, but right now none are out in the public domain.

I think this deal is to keep the prices low at the consumer level for MPEG 4 recievers. Probably more-so for swapping out old recievers to new ones, although I guess it is possible Expressvu could find a way to keep the difference and sell at the price they would have to sell at IF they were getting them from Echostar at full price.
    Charlie has nothing to do with Expressvu.

Variety of reasons. They may generate more money by selling the slots than what they would get from using it. Also, they are just renting some and not all the space, which again helps with the cost. Finally, it is possible Expressvu just doesn't forsee the need for the extra 16TPs that they are selling, especially if they begin to insert MPEG 4 service which allows for more channels per TP at better quality compared to the system in place right now, where the compression technique isnt as good...

Both Dish and Expressvu are switching over to a new Nagra encrpytion, as talked about in other threads on this form. Moreover, even if that system were to be compromised, there would still have to be a) recievers that could properly decode the MPEG 4 signal and b) content people wanted to see at that location.

ARR

Is that the same a 2nd class or NOT a National service provider?

I'm pretty sure that's what you mean, well maybe you don't, but that's the reality of it right now and probably even after N4/N5, so it really doesn't matter.

Leaf Fan

I have heard the equivalent of the Dish 1000 will be used

scrooloose

I have concerns with BEV leasing those 16 transponders for the life of the satellite. It's one thing for Telesat to lease off satellite space no Canadian company wants, it's another for BEV to do it. That's our money! I don't really want to subsidize Dish Network, especially since I have no legal access to their service.

-Mike

merve04

errr.. isint Nimiq 4 going to 82 though??

reidw

Would someone translate this into English?

(Sorry I couldn't resist).

Ozol

With the current oval dish that bell provides, you can only hit satellites that are 9 degrees apart. In order to hit 3 sats with degrees more then 9 you need a Dish 1000 setup (think starchoice)

MCIBUS

My take on this is only I guess

But since N5 has only 16 TRS that Bell Can use and the one CIEL has at 129 only 15 TRS are being used there by DISH, my take is Bell will lease the other 15 TRS on 129 switch the locals to those freeing up 91 TRS space so in other words

those in the east would have
    72 Local
    91 Speacilty
    82 HD

those out wet would have
    129 Locals
    91 Speacilty
    82 HD

Though I'm not sure if there a dish that can do that especial to cover 82 to 129?

I_Want_My_HDTV

Both Dish and DirecTV have dishes that will work for 72-82-91. 82-91-126 will require 2 dishes but it's not 100% sure that EV will go that route, at least not anytime soon. It could depend on how well 72 works for people in BC and how many HD channels are required for western locals. Shifting eastern channels to 72 and switching to MPEG4 may do the job for a few years yet.

alebowgm

Q, you are not correct. The ONLY reason the D1000 works is because none of them are at the PEAK elevation. In the Toronto area, the highest satellite in the sky is Nimiq 2/3 @ 82w. So if you want 72+82 you are fine cause it can skew one way or 82+91 is fine because it can skew another, but since 82w is the highest in the sky, 72 and 91 have to be at lower elevations and just a skew won't work!

With 2 LNBs on the Dish, you dont have this problem, but once you add a 3rd and you are dealing with the highest satellite in the sky, then you run into this.

Also note, this problem isnt a problem EVERYWHERE in Canada. In actually, it would work better the other way, because those out west wont have the issue of 82 being the peak dish in that area.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information