Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    scrooloose

What will Bell do with the new Nimiq 5 satellite?

Typically 3-5 years to build and launch a new satellite!

Today's announcement wasn't really a surprise, but a few of us held out hope Bell would make use of half the satellite a year or so from now.

-Mike

nicohockey9

it isn't official that they are selling to dish yet

dm_4u

This is really disappointing news...it probably means that Bell-TV has virtually no plans for the future.

i hate tv

What about all those people, who have purchased new 6142's and 9242's, who were told that with MPEG 4 receivers, and the launch of the new satellite, there would be more channels available due to more bandwidth from the new compression, and new transponder space?
    Now they are subsidizing others to get MPEG 4 receivers?
    Why not cut down on some of these crazy retention deals that people seem to be getting? That should save a few million $$$

I think he is the boss at Dishnetwork, so any deals negotiated between the 2 parties obviously includes Charlie , doesn't it?

If this new MPEG 4 compression is so good, why is Dishnetwork buying the extra transponders? Shouldn't MPEG 4 alliviated the bandwidth need?

I'm not sure what the new encryption has to do with the new satellite, but I am hopeful this will squash the piracy industry, for good....
    I said the same thing the last time I got my new card, and laughed at those who were complaining about losing their free tv!
    I'm not positive, but are there not already MPEG4 receivers that are being used to steal Dishnetwork? If so, would they not work for Bell when we go to MPEG 4?

Leaf Fan

"On March 11, 2008 (the “Effective Date”), EchoStar Corporation (“EchoStar”) entered into a transponder service agreement (the “Transponder Agreement”) with Bell ExpressVu Inc., in its capacity as General Partner of Limited Partnership (“Bell ExpressVu”), which provides, among other things, for the provision by Bell ExpressVu to EchoStar of service on sixteen (16) BSS transponders on the Nimiq 5 satellite at the 72.7

nicohockey9

What I hear around the Bell offices here is that it is NOT I repeat NOT official at all. All they did was have a sit down lunch and talk. We don't know what's going to happen, yet...

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Previous discussions but we have plenty of new members so feel free to "update" the discussion

scrooloose

It means that cable companies don't always provide the same level of service to all their customers. I'm in a Cogeco area, yet a I can only get some of their HD offering, others get more.

-Mike

JJJBBB

errr, if the systems are virtually the same why doesn't bev team up with dishnet for at least the HD services and open their birds for our Canada channels? Seems like they are wasting valuable transponder space.We could have all of our Canada channels in HD no problem I would think. Best of both worlds.

Angelfish

I'm pretty sure a Canadian Sat provider can't use an American Sat that is currently in use on an American slot. Or vise versa.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information