Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    merve04

What will Bell do with the new Nimiq 5 satellite?

Ok this is about Nimiq 4 though,, but since Nimiq 1\4iR are at 91,, and Nimiq 23 is at 82,, wouldnt it make sense, when they launch Nimiq 4 at 82, to move Nimiq 2 at 91, shutdown 4iR, and 3?? And just keep Nimiq 4 on its own at 82?? Since its a more powerfull sat, it should be able to handle the load on its own? Nimiq 1 seems to be getting weaker as the years go on, and the junkie DTV birds dont seem to be doing much. Ones mans garbage isint always another mans gold.

Arthur C Clarke

Could Dish be very hungry for space now with the mishap of their recent launch?
    Depending on the launch agreements, could this be significantly delayed?
    If so, what are the business implications?

Is the new pricing deal just a reflection of the stronger Canadian dollar?
    Should we expect any discounts at the consumer level?

Certainly Dish & Echostar exert enormous forces over ExpressVu.
    Cheap Charlie is quite a bully. Just examine his bargaining tactics with other networks.

Why are Canadian companies selling out our sovereign orbital slots to bandwidth hungry Americans?

A single orbital slot with 2 technically compatible providers could make for a rather tasty target for those with piracy inclinations.

Inquiring minds want to know.

impeyr

Bell will gain a new satellite in 2009 with the launch of Nimiq 5 to 72.5w. Maybe this has been discussed before but now we are in 2008, it’s getting a little closer. (From what I understand the new Nimiq 4 to launch this year is just a replacement, and will not add too much)

How will Bell handle the switch over? They will have 3 satellite positions, 91, 82 and 72. Will we all need new LNBFs, like the DISH Network Dish Pro Plus Twin LNBF which are capable of handling the third satellite from a second dish? I know Dish Networks use this technique in the US. This would certainty increase the total number of channels available. Would Bell replace all the old legacy LNBFs, and finally upgrade to Dish Pro Plus technologies? This would be sweet, but I doubt Bell would enjoy the cost.

I ask these questions since I am currently upgrading my own system to handle a 5th turner. I currently have a sw44, and it is a bit of a pain to go with a 5th output with the old legacy LNBFs and switch. It would be much easier to go with DPP stuff. If I know Bell would be switching to a third satellite and go the DDP route I would be happy to invest now and enjoy the upgrade path over the next few years.

However, I have also read that Bell may divide up the country in two and service each half with only 2 satellite positions. (Since they will have the various Nimiq 4s available). This makes some sense, but would it really increase the total number of channels available by a large enough factor to keep Bell customers happy into the next decade?

Will the current LNBFs even work with 82 and 72.5? Is it just a case of re-pointing, or would some modification to the joke of existing dishes be required?

If this has been discussed before, please point me to the link.

MCIBUS

I thought a Dish 1000? could do it?

If not It might do 72.5/52/91.

I know Dish uses a Dish 1000 to get three sats, not surewhich three though

alebowgm

4iR will be shutdown since its basically on life support as is. With N4 going to 91w, it means that Bell can put 4 satellites over at 82, assuming 4iR makes it there, so 82 could have N1,2,3,4iR at 82, N4 at 91 and N5 which will eventually be going to 72.7 so Dish Network can lease 16TPs.

alebowgm

They could develop a bracket, I am not saying they won't, that goes from 72-91, but in the East part of the country where 82 is the peak elevated satellite, there is nothing currently on the market for a standard 18/20inch, eleptical, D500 or D1000 that will work.

For 82-129, a 1 dish solution could be had but it requires 1) a redesign of the physical satellite dish's reflector or 2) a dish bigger than 40inches.

The first sceneario is much more likely than the second, but I think a 2 dish solution is still the most likely. They will just do what Dish did, but HD stations and other stations that if people want, they have to get a 2nd dish for.

scrooloose

There would be no benefit to splitting the satellites between West and East and duplicating channels. That would give BEV no more channel capacity than they have right now with just the two.

Some in the extreme West may have trouble reaching the new satellite, but I see no reason to cripple the entire service for everyone if that's the case. After all, cable companies have been delivering multi tier services forever.

-Mike

QCK

Not only the dish and lnbs will need to be changed/added but the switches as well (SW21 & SW44 for example). Maybe, just maybe the will be smart enough to start changing over to Dish Pro/Dish Pro Plus equipment.

alebowgm

Whatever, so they RENT instead of own 129w from Ciel, or at least whatever TPs they need to operate (since I would assume even with N5 launching, DirecTV will still want to rent TPs on that dish since they have programming that is over that way). Let the two even them selves out and Bev gets some extra TPs at 72.5/129 that they can rent and use for 'premium' HD or whatever other service they want to put there...

Q

Dish uses the DPP 1000 to get 110,119 & 129.

It may be possible to get 72, 82, 91 but the satellite will have to be placed at correct eleveation to work.

Currently 110,119 use completely different skew than 82 & 91

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information