Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Lindsay649

National Geographic (828) & Showcase (838) HD now on Evu

Just noticed that the free preview has been extended until late January 2009 from the previous mid December 2008.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I agree on that one.

I welcome these two and any other HD channel. Even american networks started showing a few HD programs when they started, I don't see why this one would be any different as I'm sure HD shows will the norm in not too distant future.

Real Member

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

CanWest Global now owns these two new(to expressvu) hd channels, so I would't expect the hd/sd ratio to improve. It might even decrease as new programming is expensive.

scrooloose

I'm glad they were added, but I agree the HD is pretty sparse. National Geographic is a bit disappointing. I never paid much attention to what was on the SD channel, but it seems more like Showcase or A&E than the content I expected. Really, Equator HD would make a far better National Geographic. It has the sort of content I would have expected to see.

-Mike

Just to clarify again, the dropouts I get are on Showcase HD (838). I have a 9200 connected through optical cable to a Yamaha RX-Z9 receiver. The dropouts are on this channel only.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have deleted a bunch of posts discussing CNN HD, TMC and stuff unrelated to the topic at hand.

AveryOttawa

Yep, just noticed both in my guide too. Have it on NG right now, looks really good. I just moved from Rogers on Monday.. so I was only without the two channels for 3 days Not that I watched them all that much, but more HD is always good.

HDMark

Although I agree, that we dont`t want to `niche`ourselves to HD death, both of those channels, offer a lot more IMHO than Treasure, Rush, Equator and Oasis combined.

Out of curiosity, and this might be another thread, which HD channels should BEV be adding if not these two

reidw

I too am stunned by how little HD is offered by NG HD. The highlight of their day seems to be a program about a dog handler/trainer in HD. Even more annoying is that a lot of their schedule seems to consist of retreads from Discovery etc. Based on what I've seen so far I doubt that NG HD is a service I would pay for when the free preview ends. Very disappointing!

KShopper

I agree completely, the content on NG HD is very disappointing. I was expecting some top tier quality programs that resembled the content of the magazine. Instead, you get what appear to be retreads from the History channel (WWII programs ad nausea) mixed with a mix from Discovery and TLC.

I will say that the one program I watched completely in HD (something about kayaking in New Zealand) was decently shot and surprisingly the PQ didn't disintegrate with all the foaming white water and spray. Just seemed like it belonged on the RUSH channel more than NG.

The CRTC should enforce a rule whereby any HD designated channel has to have more than 50% true HD programming, otherwise they're wasting expensive bandwidth for nothing. You could take A&E, NG, and few others and have a single channel that combined their actual HD programming, like the good old days...

Regards,
    Ken

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information