Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    derek_bowen

Bell Full HD tour

Don't know if anyone has noticed, but FS has both HD Receivers on clearance on their website, would this be a sign that new boxes on their way soon?

Nimiq 1

Bell Full HD tour

Here we go a brief and very amateur photographic account of this Earth Shattering Event.

Here comes the Helicopter, not sure just what is was supposed to do, but after 10 minutes, it left......

The Surprise is Under the Bell Tarp, note Bell not Express Vu;

Oh oh, the "Hollywood Stunt Team" and the Men In Black;

Angelfish

Bell Full HD tour

Wondering if thier is any earth shattering news comming from this event

Nimiq 1

Bell Full HD tour

The problem I saw first hand is the the people doing the actual edumacating, don't fully understand HD, they are just pushing soon to be obsolete 9200's and 6100's.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bell Full HD tour

Unless they are going to demo some 1080p gear, they are walking a fine line in terms of misleading the public. Anyone who keeps up with current technology knows that the Full HD logo currently used identifies equipment that is 1080p capable.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Bell Full HD tour

Well I attended the Bell ExpressVu Full HD launch today and personally found it to be a tremendous waste of time.

I have attended a lot of PR and marketing events and honestly I have to say that this was perhaps the worst PR event that I have ever attended.

Despite the press release saying the event would start at 10:15 am sharp, it did not.

Here is what happened...

After waiting 25 minutes, a black helicopter flew up to near where we were standing and hovered for ten minutes. I have no idea why this helicopter was there but after it departed, a bunch of guys in black suits and sunglasses (think Men in Black) got on top of a trailer and pulled back a tarpaulin revealing a beaver with a welders helmet on and the words that movies without HD are like action movies without explosives.

I assume that the helicopter and guys in suits were supposed to be the feeling we get when we watch Bell Full HD.

Five minutes later, a women in spandex and another guy two fell off the BEV trailer onto some cardboard boxes. (I presume that was the Hollywood stunt team)

Fifteen minutes later (about 45 minutes after it started) the ExpressVu people let us into the trailer where we viewed three televisions playing HD signals and three televisions which were showing the same 16:9 images but compressed into a 4:3 image on a Widescreen tv.

The squashed images were described as "analog tv" (despite having come from ExpressVu) and the rest were HD signals.

They were going to show us some HD presentation but then I would have had to wait another 5 minutes while a tv crew from a Bell Globemedia station got their story first.

At that point, I left the trailer and was given a plastic water bottle that said ExpressVu on it. No press people were there to answer questions, no one explained what just happened and so after almost an hour after arriving, I left still trying to figure it all out.

I have no idea what happened to Shannon because there was no verbal announcement or anyone that could answer any of my questions.

Lets call it a "failure to launch!"

Nimiq 1

Bell Full HD tour

Gordon proudly Proclaiming the new mission statement........

The Men In Black attempt to point, well mount the Dish, this took almost 5 minutes. If this was not intended to ever pick up signal, why install a heavy SW44 on the thing.?

The message on the rear of the Container;

Nimiq 1

Bell Full HD tour

And the final picture, abandon hope all ye who enter here........

I wonder with hindsight, if the Helicopter, was supposed to lift the Blue Tart from the Container, revealing the new Mission Statement......Could be that the wind was too strong.

Hugh, do you know what City this Event will be in next, I might just go for a Drive........See if it gets any more exciting......

SensualPoet

Bell Full HD tour

I accept these were the findings. I simply don't believe them. 90% of Canadians will tell you al sorts of things. The survey, or the extrapolation, is flawed. With something on the order of 2 million households having a "recent" $1500+ HDTV, I can't believe "most" have no ability to watch HD.

Perhaps in 2005 ... but by 2007 there was tons of HD programming on cable and satellite TV and enough time to raise awareness. "Majority of HDTV owners" without an HD signal? Nope, doesn't compute.

my0gr81

Bell Full HD tour

42" Sony LCD was $4000 discounted (through sales and giveaways), $4900 full retail. Ask me how I know. A year later, Sony discontinued their LCD line only to bring it back this year.

Bell is trying to educate but they also did the same a few years ago when they had those commercials about "All Digital, All the time". Sure, their signal was "all digital", but they failed to mention that this was an inherant technology requirement and that they compressed their streams to the maximum.

The education of HD has to start at the source of the media, the networks and content provider have to do their part, and then the retail channel has to do their part. Ask a FSuck/B****Buy sales guy about the difference between HD on OTA through an ATSC tuner and HD through one of the provider's STB and watch them squirm.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information