Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    ARR

CBC-HD Missing on Bev

You first need to understand just of DVB works.
    And it's amazing that it works at all.

We know from FTA pirates that the transponder was broadcasting the signal, so even the statement as interpreted by AEV, 'down at the source' meaning at Bell, was grossly incorrect.
    My interpretation for that could imply they were unable to uplink the signal to the satellite or the satellite was unable to send it back to earth.
    Either of those and she would at least be correct.

Since it's not possible for Bev to control the firmware and modify the channel maps of an FTA box, due to them not owning or having access to the manufactures source code and it would be highly illegal if they were ever able to do so, they would be sued beyond belief for malicious damage of computer code. (They can of course changes their methods of transmission to foul up the coders.)

The other ingredient is a channel map, this basically instructs the set top to tune to a specified frequency, satellite and polarity and select the appropriate audio and Video PID's (Process ID's.) The table is defined in the DVB protocol and that's often adjusted when performing transponder maintenance and THEIR stbs are smart enough to add/subtract or relocate any given station transparently, so we never see this happen.

An FTA box does not follow this instruction, it uses it's own table generated from scanning the transponder and builds it locally.

So for what happened to happen, as I stated earlier, somebody caused the video/audio signals to become 'disconnected' in the STB and did so by removing the needed instructions and that portion of the map the defines the channel.

A human error, but one I think should have been caught within seconds at the uplink centre they so proudly display.

What I don't know is how long it would take to propagate the correction through the system, minutes to seconds I would think, so once again, Bev technical wasn't quite up to snuff.

TJ77

CBC-HD Missing on Bev

Totally unacceptable, especially if this was caused by an ECM or such. I'm glad I got out before the ship goes down.

Interceptor

CBC-HD Missing on Bev

Anybody else lost CBC HD on Bell. I was wanting to watch the Canada-Austria soccer game. The channel is not even listed on my program guide anymore.

i hate tv

CBC-HD Missing on Bev

yea strange
    indeed
    ive just asked a neighbor who has rogers, and he is watching the game
    and another neighbor piped up, that it IS working on his HD FTA box, on bell
    down at the source
    my arse!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

CBC-HD Missing on Bev

Come on, that would be an intelligent and sensible thing to do. This is Bell we are talking about!

Mark 47

CBC-HD Missing on Bev

I went through the usually frustrating experience of emailing BEV about the missing game...I was told "I understand your frustration in being unable to view the sports event that was blacked out in your area.

Sports fans are often frustrated by blackouts of sporting events. The right to broadcast specific games in particular markets depends entirely on contractual arrangements between the league or the sports club and individual broadcasters. Regretfully, the CRTC and Bell ExpressVu have no direct jurisdiction over sports organizations and are not involved in the process at all." Their responses can be very entertaining!

luch

CBC-HD Missing on Bev

Actually, when I called Bell to find out the problem, the CS rep told me that CBC had blacked out the channel ... so I immediately emailed CBC to complain.. I got the following response today:

Thank you for reporting this situation.

CBC network television operations confirms that the loss of the CBC HD feed on channel 802 through Bell ExpressVu yesterday evening was an external ExpressVu issue that was entirely unrelated to CBC. The CBC high definition feed was on the air through Shaw Cable, Star Choice and other service providers across the country. In addition, no problems affected the delivery or broadcast of the feed from the CBC HD transmitter in Vancouver last night.

The service representative you spoke with was obviously misinformed, as no
    blackout was in effect and no such decision would apply in this situation. We
    appreciate your interest
    in CBC.

CBC Audience Relations

The obvious hoola is that it went down minutes before the kick-off of Canada's biggest game of the U-20 World Cup... a big deal to us soccer fans... people may have been singing a different tune about it's importance if it happened to be game 7 of the Stanley Cup...

Ex Agent EV

CBC-HD Missing on Bev

I'm not trying to protect anybody....just confirming what the oiginal poster said

And why do you say not according to people on this board? Everyody that mentionned calling Bell about this said they got that answer

rgto

CBC-HD Missing on Bev

That's doesn't make it true!

jumpy27

CBC-HD Missing on Bev

I wonder what CBC would have to say about their channel being "down at the source"? I would like to know how the CBC would define those 4 little words. It appears to put the blame on CBC and not Bell.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information