Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Mozza

MPEG4 Transition - What does it mean for BEV subscribers?

I don't see your math there. They wouldn't have to get rid of ALL the SD channels to increase to 65 HD channels. Just maybe a third or so, from what I can reckon.

Walter Dnes

The problem comes down to bandwidth. I'll get up on my soapbox again. Rogers has entirely separate systems serving Windsor, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Toronto, etc. They may be served by the same national feeds from CBC/CTV/etc, but that's optional. Each of these local systems can be optimised to serve only its own customers.

ExpressVu, on the other hand, can't put up separate satellites for each of Windsor, London, Kitchener-Waterloo, Toronto, etc. They have to serve 1/2 or 1/3 of the country with one satellite. If they want to add a channel for Toronto, that's one less channel they can add forWindsor, London, etc.

If HDTV wasn't coming, MPEG4 might be enough to save satellite TV. But if people gotta have HDTV, then cable walks all over satellite.

So HDTV can now be accused of killing...
    1. Global TV (ptui)
    2. ExpressVu

These outfits are like silent-movie stars from the early 1920's, who couldn't make the transition to "talkies".

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Point well taken, ARR.

Although there are plenty of chip set solutions for going one way: e.g. demodulate, decompress, etc., there aren't any (cheap) chip solutions going the other way: compress, modulate, etc.

It is just a shame to throw out all that perfectly good hardware. I am sure the other cable/sat providers will be going to MPEG4/8PSK/16PSK soon too or already have done so.

I don't think there would be a "security" problem. Security, in theory is handled by the smartcard, which has nothing to do with modulation and compression.

dirtyjeffer

no, it wouldn't be in the their best interest...if 200,000 customers are thinking about switching to HD, and then decide against it and will wait and see what happens first, that is millions of dollars of lost revenue every month.

Mozza

I guess BEV will be taking that claim of "Most HD in Canada" off their website and ads any time now...

Mozza

Tides ebb and flow - BEV will flood again! *cough*

Tom.F.1

Theres lots of discussion going on about how hard of a transition this is for Bell. I didn't know they were up to 1.8 million subscribers, but isn't that peanut sized compared to DirecTV's 17 Million? and Dish's 13 Million?
    They seem to be transitioning to Mpeg4 sucsessfully and without too many complaints.
    Why are bell subscibers having a hard time with a transition that hasn't even started yet.

Mozza

Does anyone have any solid confirmation that BEV will be unable to add new HD channels with existing technology? Could they not still have some room?

ARR

You must be referring to the size of their brains, ha ha!

Sure the U.S. boys are a LOT bigger, so is the revenue stream, AND the years of experience.
    They probably have a dealer/installer networks capable of entering such a swap, Bell, from what I'm hearing have alienated a great many of those with their policies.
    So not only are they in a bandwidth crunch, tied to a big elephant that dictates their technology and have virtually disintegrated their support infrastructure to pull of the ground side of side a task.

The other difference is they can offer insane incentives to make the swap.
    They practically give away HD PVR's down there for every man and his dog.

Do you seriously expect Bell to match something like that?

I admire Charlie Ergen, when I watch him of his Charlie Chat, what I see is a business, not unlike Starchoice that is VERY customer focused and EARNS your business each and every day.

If Bell ever pulled their heads out of thier A$$'s and adopted some astute business policies, every move they make might not be so scrutinized.
    Seems at every turn, both customer and Bell have the impression that the other is out to screw them!
    Why is that?
    It's certainly not a winning formula for long term viability to maintain such a caustic relationship with you life blood, the customer.

visiter555

Any idea which switch? DP or DPP? This would also require a change in LNBs.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information