Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Aloen

Satellite 82 troubles.

Hello,

I apologize if this has been done before, it's just that the search utility isn't great in the corner.
    My problem:
    I can get great satellite 91 (85-95% range on most transponders), but can't find 82 for the life of me. I know, turn it like a steering wheel tiny gradations at a time, but it doesn't seem to work. My concern is that something is plugged in wrong. This is because when I unplug the satellite 82 receiver (I don't know the exact term, the thing on the dish) from the switch, the satellite signal strength page still gives a strength when I'm looking for 82 (it find 92 and says "unlocked"). Is this normal, to find a signal (even not the right one) on 82 when it's unplugged?
    I should have everything right (I double-checked against the manual.... 82 on the right prong of the receiver slots, and plugged into switch #1), so does anyone have idea what I did/am doing/am going to do/will do next Tuesday wrong?

Thank you in advance.

ehtozed

Satellite 82 troubles.

hi there,

if you have a dual LNB (which is that cylindrical device directed towards your dish), then you would require signal from both 91 AND 82. to find out if you have a single or dual LNB, simply look at your dish and see if you notice one or two of those arms sticking out of it.

if, when you select 'BEV 82' in the point dish menu and it gives you a message that reads 'wrong sat' while 91 indicates that it is locked and you're getting good strength then either your cables or your alignment is incorrect. you should verify that both ends of the cable is connected tightly and that you are using an RG-6 coax from the dish to the receiver (the receiver being the actual set top box) with lines coming from both LNBs.

also, if you don't have a switchbox installed somewhere in between the cables from the dish to the receiver, you MUST get one, but i think you do because you mentioned a switch. ensure all the cables are properly connected. as far as adjusting the skew of the dish, i wouldn't know because it depends on your location.

you can do a trial and error test to identify if it's the cable by swapping the cable from your 91 to the 82 LNB and see if you pick up signal on 82. or swap it on the switchbox.

also, how many receivers should you have installed?

Aloen

Satellite 82 troubles.

Hello,
    I have a dual LNB (thank you for giving me a term for that), the switchbox that came with the reciever, and the proper cabling (this has been running for half a year or so, I just can't find the darn HD satellite - which up till now had been hidden by a tree ).

My concern is that when I have the options in the satellite setup menu to "satellite 82" and physically unplug the "satellite 82" LNB I still get a signal. Is it supposed to draw signal from the 91 LNB to find satellite 82 in the setup menu?

peano

Satellite 82 troubles.

Sounds like you have the 82 LNB pointed at 91.

Look on the plastic Y adapter where the LNBs mount. Only mount the 91 LNB and find signal. Then remove the RG6 from the 91 LNB and mount the 82 LNB in the appropriate slot and hook the RG6 to it and find signal.

Aloen

Satellite 82 troubles.

Indeed. I was told to try that from the Bell people, so I unplugged the 82 LNB for that exact purpose. And thats where I found that the satellite 82 option in the signal strength setup still read as working. Should I be getting anything from that option when I have the 82 LNB unplugged?

And forgive my ignorance, but what is a RG6?

peano

Satellite 82 troubles.

If you unplugged the 82 LNB and still get signal strength on 82, you have the 91 LNB pointed at 82.

RG6 is the cable that runs from the LNB to the receiver.

Aloen

Satellite 82 troubles.

Ah, ok, RG6 is the cabling. I'm not exactly knowledgeable in the world of satellite and cable (as one can probably tell).

When I have the 82 LNB unplugged, and it's selected to 82 in the menu, it says that there is signal strength, but it's not locked because its satellite 91. So what I'm hearing is that its seeing from the 91 LNB's "eyes". Is that correct?

It sounds like I just can't get the darn thing pointed in the right direction. I get great signal over 91, but 82 can never find any satellite except for 91. I run through the whole rotation slowly (stopping ofen), but 82 sees 91 until the signal strength drops to zero, and then I get nothing for the rest of the rotation.

peano

Satellite 82 troubles.

1.) Make sure your skew and elevation settings are correct on the dish.

2.) Install one LNB in the 91 slot on the Y adapter and connect cable. Do not install the 82 LNB. Do not have any switches installed.

3.) Choose 91 in the dish pointing menu and get a green locked signal.

4.) Disconnect cable from the 91 LNB and install the 82 LNB and connect cable to it.

5.) Choose 82 in the dish pointing menu and get a green locked signal. It should already be receiving 82 without moving the dish if the dish has the correct skew setting. You can tweak it SLIGHTLY to improve 82.

6.) Add the cable for 91 and install your switch and do a check switch on all receivers.

Aloen

Satellite 82 troubles.

Good to know, I'll try that tonight. Thank you very much.

Aloen

Satellite 82 troubles.

It worked! You sir, are a gentleman and a scholar.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information