Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Questions about splitting..

59king, a switch may not be necessary if you have appropriate LNB and only two televisions in the house. If you have more than two then you'll need a multiswitch.

Search the Bell forums here for switch or multiswitch and you'll find LOTS of threads discussing this and they'll tell you everything you need to buy.

You'll need to buy a second receiver and set it up so, my advice is to simply figure out what receiver you want and then contact Bell. They'll know what equipment you have and will be able to help you out.

I_Want_My_HDTV

This violates the EV service agreement and is illegal. Each dwelling unit requires a separate account.

barter

It's not illegal to account share, or have receivers from 1 account at 2 or more locations, it just violates bell's CSA and can result in account termination.

landrover

I think that the arangement you are suggesting is a contravention of the EV service agreement but not illegal in the sense of breaking Canadian law, however, Bell holds the hammer and could terminate your service but I don't think you be subject to criminal charges if they learn of your arrangement.

Your other concern would be controlling PPV purchases, without proper precautions, your tennant could order a whack PPV's and leave you (the account holder) stuck with a bill.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This violates the EV service agreement and is illegal. Each dwelling unit requires a separate account.

I don't think 2 receivers in the building is excessive. I just hope the renters don't
    order too many PPV's.
    Friends of ours came home from a vacation only to learn that their 16 year old daughter had rented $1200.00 worth of Pay Per View events in just 5 days..

Ouch..

I_Want_My_HDTV

It is signal theft (by the party not on the account) and theft is illegal. Aiding and abetting theft (by the account holder) is also illegal. It doesn't matter that EV chooses not to pursue the matter any further than an account suspension or disabling a receiver.

A similar situation is splitting a CATV cable and running a cable to another residence. People have been successfully prosecuted for doing this because it was pursued by the cable company. Account splitting using satellite receivers is no different.

I_Want_My_HDTV

It doesn't matter what you think, but what EV thinks. Two units require 2 accounts, regardless of the number of receivers. If the second receiver is not connected to a phone line, it will eventually be disabled if you cannot provide the location Id when they call. If it is connected to a different phone line it will be disabled when they notice. If PPVs are ordered and not reported over a phone line, the receiver will be disabled and not reactivated until the PPVs are reported and paid for. Splitting accounts is considered signal theft by EV, be vary careful if you decide to go this route. They could take you to court for what they consider to be owed as a second account back to day one.

Why don't you share your phone line too and hope the bad ones don't make too many long distance phone calls before they skip out on the rent?

probak118

59king,

Looks like your question was answered in replies 1 thru 5. I hope the rest didn't scare you away from the site. Ask a question here and you will usually get a complete answer (lol). Like hugh said ,the easiest way is to use a lnb with two connections on it. Good Luck

WGubbe

DJ,

I have a SW44 on the back of my dish on my roof. It has two feeds in from the lnb and two feeds out going to my 9200 in my basement plus one other feed out going to my bedroom 5800. that leaves one feed not used. No problems so far after at least three months like that.

Regards, Bill

I stand corrected. I reread your post and realized that you were talking about inputs to the switch. I took a pair of binoculars outside and had a look at my SW44 and all four inputs are connected. My apologies if I caused any confusion. Bill

dirtyjeffer

here's a question.

if you have 3 receivers on one dish going through a standard 4x4 multiswitch, but only hook up 1 or 2 inputs from the LNBF, will it still work?

i was told by the installer that if you use a 4x4 switch, you MUST attach all four lines in or it won't work...someone else is disputing this, stating that you can get away with only putting in 1 or 2 lines, and possibly only missing even or odd transponders, or that it will still work without a hitch.

i tried searching for some wiring diagrams, but couldn't find anything to determine once and for all who was correct.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information