Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mac dude

Questions about splitting..

The other answers are MORE relevant because the activity that the OP is trying to do is illegal. Perhaps they didn't know that, but it is. I have one receiver, another "unit" in this house has Expressvu. We use 2 dishes. If I was to 'share' my account with them because we live in the same house, it would be illegal. Same situation as this one.

barter

It is not signal theft, as it is paid for. There is no section of the Criminal Code of Canada that states it is illegal to have bell receivers at more that one location.

ehtozed

just to clarify a few things, if you use an sw44 switch, all four inputs must be connected in order to get proper signal on all transponders and on both satellites. if you can't do that and only need to hook up one single tuner receiver with dual LNB, obtain an sw21 instead. otherwise, sw44 is required.

and regarding the whole theft idea, as long as your receivers are all in the same address that your account is registered to, you're fine. if two receivers under the same account is active in separate locations, ONE of them (being the one not at the account address) will be disabled by the service assurance team until you can successfully verify the location of all receivers on the account. the agreement is that equipment activated under one account must all be at the same location. so in the case of 59king, both receivers are still registered to the account address, thus still complying with BEV's service agreement.

-tina

mac dude

I disagree. I live at the same address as someone else with Expressvu. It's a house. I have to pay for my own service. It's my apartment and my apartment alone.

As other previous posters said, if it's a border, that should be fine, but if they have their own apartment like was originally stated, they should get their own service.

If this were with Rogers, they'd expect you to get two accounts for two residences. Just because they are at the same physical location doesn't make it right.

Although I think this has been acknowledged as a moral issue / service agreement issue.

59king

hey all, thanks for all the input, first I want to clarify, I want to run 3 receviers, the suite is more like shared accomadations, and as far as the land line goes, who says that they disconnect the service??? I have never used a land line phone connection to the reciever, as I dont have one...I only have 2 cell phones which my wife and I use.

I told bell this when I signed up, over 2 years ago, and I havent ever had, or heard of a problem to do with this.

Now to the switch question, do I need, or should i have a swtich that runs both coaxial cables to this switch, or can I just run 1, and call it good? I have ran 2 different recievers off the dish before, and that was obviously pretty easy.

also, are their "brands" of switchs that are poor, or whatever else?

59king

Technically, not it probably isn't illegal.

But as other have said, you may be violating BEVs service agreement. You agreed to all their terms and conditions when you signed up for the service and they can terminate your service if you violate any of those terms.

59king

K so this is the one I am referring to

3x4 Multiswitch Multi Switch ZINWELL Model SAM-3402

The 3x8 multi-switch is designed to allow up to 4 receivers to work off a dual satellite lnb. A third input provides for diplexed OTA feeds.

Compatible with Bell ExpressVu, Dish Network, DirecTV, and FTA systems.

Input frequency from LNB 1&2: 950-2150MHz

Input frequency from UHF/VHF: 40-860MHz

Each output frequency: 40-2150MHz

This solid state multiswitch has no internal contacts or elays to wear out. It is about three inches wide and is one of the most durable and reliable multiswitches on the market.

Q

dj,

while I have never tried it I have also read that all 4 lines must be connected. If it does work with 2 I think you are asking for problems.

Joe

landrover

The switch you have pictured is an SW34. The SW34 allows for the 2 inputs from a dual LNB and a cable/antenna signal to be distributed to upto 4 receivers. If you don't need to distribute a cable/antenna signal along with the sat signal you can use an SW24.

There is a couple of $ difference in price. A very quick online scan I did indicated you could get either on of these for $12-$15 and I'm sure even cheaper if you really shop around.

I really don't know if one brand is better than another but I'm sure some members could provide advice on that aspect of your question.

ehtozed

well the thing is, if the account holder (home owner) agrees to cover your service, they can. if they don't, they have all the rights to call and have the receiver deactivated. if, say, you want BEV service and you have no agreement with the home owner to share their dish, you must establish your own account, but this is considering your dwelling has its own apartment number. if it doesn't (because it's a house), tough luck, you can't get it because it's impossible to create another account under the same address.

the way it works is if a SAT (service assurance team) rep asks you to verify all the active receivers registered your account because of suspicion, you'd plug in your phone line and dial out from the receiver to their end. it will then show that it is in fact at that location, therefore they won't disable anything because you've proven it to them. of course if the account holder calls in to deact because he doesn't want that guy renting a unit in his house to use his service he could do so. but he does have the right to keep it activated in his own home if he wanted to.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information