Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    rwings01

Questions about splitting..

Hi All,

I have 1 coax coming into my kitchen using a 3100 receiver. I live in an apartment so the owner won't let me run another coax for my son's room. What switch do I need to split the single coax? I would like to add a 4100 reciever to my kid room and I tried a splitter, but that didn't work. Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks In advance

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

The point is, that two addresses are being served and one address is being paid for, ergo it is considered theft. The basement suite is more than likely a separate unit.

To be not such "theft" The tenant will need to arrange their own subscription with Bell (or whomever the provider is).

Now, as if it seems in the later posts, the "tenant" is a boarder, then it is okay, IMO, to have a receiver in their room on the homeowners account.

59king

thanks landrover.

I acutally purchased one today at Rona. It does not work however. It has one input (from the dish) and 4 out. It says on the piece itself its a "splitter", however, the packaging said it works on satelittes.

Not sure if I was had, or what the scene is.

Also Landrover, let me know if I am reading this correctly.

The ZINWELL model I pictured, you could run both cable and sat thru it?

The LNB, is that the part you connect your coax to on the satelitte?

I have one with both coax outputs, so I dont know if I need to connect them both or not....forgive me , Im such a noob.

thx in advance again.

P

barter

Yes, it may be considered "theft" by Expressvu, but having a receiver set up in another address is not a criminal offence, it would not be considered theft by the police and they won't waste their time on such matters, so the only thing someone has to worry about is have there account terminated and being blacklisted by Bell.

I don't endorse account splitting/sharing I'm just making a point.

ehtozed

hmmm...you might get away with splitting the cable by using an RF splitter, also known as an SW21 or dual output 3-gig splitter. this is a one input, two output device and is different from the regular tv splitter which would not work at all. it's completely not recommended and is not at as reliable as hooking up directly from the LNB on the dish, but in some circumstances it may work. expect weaker signal though and i'm not sure how stable this might be. make sure you use RG-6 coax cables throughout the connections.

ExVuTechRep

I have had so many clients trying to do this and ending up having only odd or even transponders, I would not even remotely think about considering that opiton, unless you want a very unstable system.

Nemnoch

well the BEV agreement has a section about account splitting. If youaccount split then you are in breech of contract. Or it could be considered fraud and would therefore be illegal.

Nem, who dislikes grey areas.

ehtozed

but don't most reps suggest using 4 of these splitters to split the cables on a dual satellite setup for 5+ receivers? i personally wouldn't (as i know there are other options), it's just that it's common among SOME of the expressvu reps.

i suggested this option for this type of setup because it's not going through other switchboxes after splitting so i imagine it might limit the chances of affecting the transponders -- considering in some cases, it works for 5+ receivers going through sw44's before reaching the receiver. still, i could be wrong.

Q

I have never heard anyone able to split one line. Splitting 4 lines into 8 is different because SW44 switch's are used after that.

IMO if you can't add any more lines from the outside and want to control 2 separate TV's as tuners you will have to get a dual tuner receiver.

This however will require additional hardware. A DPP twin lnb. A ddp separator as well.

If both tv's will never be on at the same time you do have a much easier option. You can just use a A-B type switch. This will alllow only one receiver to work at a time.

Joe

I_Want_My_HDTV

If upgrading the dish hardware is not an option, the only way this would work is to split the channel 3 RF output of the 3100. Only one channel could be viewed on both TVs at the same time. You would also need a receiver with an RF remote or an IR sender for the remote control or a universal remote that has a remote RF module for the other room.

Unfortunately, this cannot be done to the satellite coax.

An SW21 and splitter are not the same thing.

That does not work well with satellite receivers either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information