Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    59king

Questions about splitting..

Hey all

Im a noob here, so please have some patience,

I have been a long time bev user, mainly operating 1 tv. I have just purchased a home in which there is a suite in the basement, and I want to run a second reciever (rent it) and off it as one of the amenities included in renting.

Shaw cable was exitsing in the building, so I want to use the exiting outlets in the walls because that will be much easier. Now, heres my plan.

From the dish, install a splitter where all the other cables some in, and then from the wall mounted outlet, hook to a receiver, and so on.

Should this work?

Thx in advance.

landrover

As mentioned in an earlier post you need a switch not a splitter.

Yes, any SW34 switch will do that whether it is a Z***** or not. An SW34 will carry both sat and cable signal to each receiver. I'm not sure if you should quote brand names or not. If Z***** switches is not an advertiser on this site then I don't think then we are suppose to mention that brand but I'm sure a moderator can clarify.

An SW34 switch (any brand) with 2 inputs from the LNB will distribute a satellite signal to upto 4 receivers. If input into the switch, it can also distribute a cable/antenna signal.

An SW24 switch (any brand) with 2 inputs from the LNB will only distribute satellite signal to upto 4 receivers.

The LNB is at the end of the arm on your dish, the coax wire(s), normally RG6, run from the LNB into your receiver unless you add a switch, such as you are suggesting, between the dish and multiple receivers.

Yes, if you are going to run a switch then you must run 2 cables from the LNB to the switch in order to run 3 or more receivers.
    1 cable = 1 receiver
    2 cables= 2 receivers
    2 cables+switch = 3 or more receivers

The switch you bought might be a correct switch but it would need 2 inputs coming in from the dish in order to distubute the signal to multiple receivers.

There are some variations to the above with specialized equipment but assuming you are running a basic Bell set-up then the above applies.

Tom.F.1

splitters don't work on bell sat signals, you need a switch.

59king

Thanks for all the claification...it is all going to be very helpful.

I didnt know the whole thing about not mentioning mfg's names on the site...so thanks for that.

I was hoping this unit I purchased would work, but it doesnt look like it will....oh well, the place I purchased it offeres refunds so thats all okay.

thanks again to all that have helped out in my efforts.

P

59king

okay, where do i get one, and do you maybe have a url so i can see and read about what i need.

thx in advance.

landrover

I may have got that bit wrong about posting manufacturers names wrong. I reread the rules and believe that names of vendors and manufacturers is OK, just no links to them. Sorry if I caused any confusion on that.

I_Want_My_HDTV

A cable splitter is not the same as a switch.

I am really surprised that this thread has not been closed since it is helping someone do something illegal. (Never mind that the answer to feeding multiple receivers from a single dish has been posted on other threads many times.) Other threads have been closed for much less.

59king

why is this illegal?

I have a person who is going to be staying in a room, and sharing the rest of the house. In the common room, near her bedroom, there is a tv, and we will all have access to it.

Now, I can understand sharing with your neighbors being illegal, but I would say this is different.

If there is something else going on that you think is illegal here, I want to know as Im not interested in breaking the law, but I cant see a problem when the principal owner of the dwelling has access to each tv/reciever at any time during the day being a problem.

P

barter

buy one from bell or off ebay for cheaper.

I_Want_My_HDTV

That was not the description in your original post.

At any rate, the issues regarding installation of multiple receivers have been asked and answered many times on this forum. Please do a search before you post.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information