Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast
    WestCDA

BEV Home Signal Switching/Splitting/Cabling Discussion Thread

If you're sure that you won't have a need for more than two single tuner IRDs, then you can just put another SW21 (you should be able to pick one up for 20.00 or so) out at the dish.

The cost is substantially less than the SW44, it doesn't require external power (the SW44 does) and you'll just need the single extra cable into the house (along with the two short leads from the dual LNBF's to the new switch).

However, if you do decide at some point to get a dual tuner IRD like the 9200, then you'll need the extra receiver capacity you would get from the SW44. The SW21 is a cheap way to get what you need now, though, and the the cable can be re-used if you decide to upgrade. Make sure you run RG6.

AndreH

I went with this option and everything works just fine.

ken0042

As somebody who has too many dishes stuck on his house, I can tell you is one of the cons is all the neighbours asking you "with all those dishes, you must get a tonne of p0rn!"

Myself, I'd go with the SW44. At some point you will need it for HD, may as well get it now.

mbalders

Anyone running more then 4 reciver off one dish? Bell doesnt seem to offer a switch bigger then the SW44 (according to the installer they sent). He is currently at a loss on how to connect all (6) of our recivers. Right now we have the old SD only dish and a 4x8 switch all purchased around 2 years ago. Everything worked fine with that dish with the 2 coax feeds from the dish into the switch, then 6 feeds going to the recivers. However it appears that the switch doesnt want to work with the new HD dish and 4 feeds. The installer tried an SW44 and everything worked, except we didnt have all our receivers connected. Anybody have any ideas?

Chuck27

I bought 200'....all in, it cost me $40.70 which seems like a not-bad deal. To be honest, I had not considered shopping for RG-6 at Home Depot, it was the $39.99 that Radio Shack (or whatever they are these days) charges for a 100' roll that I was using for a comparison.

Say, Ken, since you're in Calgary, if you needed 400' or so it would probably be worth the gas for a little jaunt up to Edmonton and save the freight...

Chuck

CountryBumpkin

I bought the Thomas and Betts compression crimper last year and use their compression fittings. I don't regret it one single bit. The tool strips the wire the way it exactly needs to be by spinning the tool on the wire... put the fitting on the wire, put the fitting in the tool, squeeze, and you're done.

I added a 9200 to my existing receivers, so got the SW44 and SW44A switches for the receivers, diplexor to tie in my cable modem to one of the rooms, and changed out for dish for dual sat. So I had a LOT of new wire and ends I had to put on. Using these fittings allowed me to do all of that quickly. And it was a necessity when making changes to any of the wiring involved my cable modem. Regular hex compression fitting doesn't provide enough signal for cable modems... I know... I tried that initially.

Many of my friends and family are using EV as well, so use the tool to make alterations/repairs at their houses as well.

- Steve

dirtyjeffer

a cheap fix may be to use a different dish for your HD receiver, or two or more regular receivers and your multiswitch (although, it may not be aesthetically pleasing).

ringmaster_2000

Well I live in North Vancouver, BC & I have a 9200 HD PVR & a Panasonic DVD Recorder with a 160 GB HD. I do the same thing I use the 9200 Hard Drive for my HD programming & my DVD Hard Drive for SD programming.

I also have BOTH Shaw/BEV running on the same tv & I can tell you the BEV picture is 1000x better then the shaw picture. I have Shaw Cable on tv mode, Xbox 360 on Video1, PS2 on Video2 & BEV on color stream. Some people complain that some BEV channels are to compressed but i like it that way. It always rains in BC but i rarley have any problems. Sometimes SOME(not all) channels go down for 5-7 min's(rarley) but then i just switch to shaw cable

AK_Sniper

That's true, I have a spare SW21 here, then I could simply use that, didn't think about that.

The thought of going to a 9200 is tempting, youre tempting me(wish I would of bought that one originally)...but I don't think ill be going to one anytime soon so since I have the spare SW21 currently, thats the way ill go then.

Thanks

AK

atari8472

no you have to multiply the signal before the SW21 switches. you actually have to mutliply the signal as splitting doesn't work with satellite signals.

options:

#1 - get a SW44 switch that allows two satellites in and four receivers out (no need for SW21s anymore in this case)

#2 - you could add two 34 switches (one for each LNB) which that would effectively give you four outputs out of each LNB. Then you would connect your two existing SW21s to these 34 switches and still have two more outputs left (two for each satellite). Then you'd need an extra SW21 for your second receiver.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information