Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Email sent to CTV/CRTC concerning that pathetic CTV logo with simsubs on BEV

I noticed that again last night. I thank Global or turning up the contast on their logo too. Nice and bright and white. If I watch enough Global shows, I should be able to get a perpetual global moon on the corner of my screen.

Knightsofni

Is it just me or have others noticed a definite loss in the HD quality with the CTV simsubs. I have a FP set-up and watch on a 106" wide screen, and the picture quality is definitely worse compared to what I used to get with the CBS feed. Who do I complain to? CRTC or CTV?

Thanks

dirtyjeffer

you guys raise some valid points...those static logos could potentially cause burn in on some of plasma tv's out there.

Altaman

Well looks like I got Ms. Grossi's attention with my email complaint concerning the CTV HD logo...here is the msg I got back from her today:

Note they are asking them to hold a copy of the broadcast in question! I think that with respect to these broadcaster bugs, we can get the CRTC to do something. I suggest others who find these bugs annoying, distracting and possibly causing burnin on your sets to contact the CRTC.

Alt

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I was watching CSI last night, and that pretty logo kept showing up.

Oddly enough, it's displayed through the first couple of minutes of the opening show (before the intro rolls), and then after commercial break, there is 15 or so seconds of show before it pops up again.

Not sure why they need it (since they display CTV ads throughout the commercials). But why don't they display it in the intro before the show starts, and then the first 15-30 seconds after commercials (getting rid of it the rest of the time during the show). And if they really need to, pop it in the last 15-30 seconds before commercial breaks (would be a nice indicator that commercials are coming). I really doubt I'd forget what channel I'm watching 1/2 way through the show!

Hopefully CTV gets back to you about it.

unreal1080p

You REALLY think complaining will change anything??? Good luck. Unless the guy that runs the CRTC is a HUGE HD FANATIC and this causes him grief... NOTHING will change... it's only going to get worse when BEV adds GLOBAL WEST feed then ALL or nearly all the american primetime shows go to simsubs Time to bite the bullet and make other arrangements (DirecTV...)

As far as the Goverment (the CRTC is a government entity) is concerned, the only thing of "Quality" Canadians should be entitled to is quality high taxes (they know we take it up the poopshoot everyday with high taxes + low services in return and we allow them to steal our money everyday... Canadians (i am one) are pushovers and the goverment does whatever they want.

Your only hope for "Quality HD" is BluRay or possibly DirecTV (remains to be seen if they will send out the "proper" bit rates required once they have fully converted to MPEG4 and 150 National HD channels).
    The sooner you realize this, the better off you will be.

peon

Like it was said, you'll get nowhere bitching about something it's quite likely the people you're speaking with or writing to don't see in the same way. It will take a lot of calm effort to change something that's grown to be a standard during the past 20 years. But you'll probably notice that not all stations put up "bugs" in the same way. The best "bug" I've seen is YTV's: only on briefing about every 10-15 minutes. It's an excellent "standard".

But my guess is that "bugs" are more about protecting content than "helping" viewers know where they are. Have you noticed that "bugs" are never displayed during commercials? Gee... I'd think that this would be the only spot you'd want them displayed. Then advertisers would know where to spend their advertising dollars!

As for broadcast rights... since the introduction of cable and satellite distribution, I think the Canadian "broadcasters" have been living in utopia since they aren't "broadcasting" the content to the majority of Canadians anymore.

It's about time that a new model be employed. One which rids us of our current "broadcasters" and redirects revenue from the real distributors (cable and sat.) directly to Canadian talent.

I can't wait to see how the "broadcasters" are going to react to the future distribution of "TV" via the internet!

googe

haha, kindly point out that all TVs made within the last 2 decades either have the channel displayed on the set, or they have a "display" type button that will bring up the channel and time typically. what a BS response

HDTV101

The whole point of the big grey CTV logo is to cover the CBS logo... this is why there is this problem in the first place. So why can't CTV if there paying CBS for this show get a copy that doesn

dirtyjeffer

while that works when you live near a border, it does nothing for you if you don't...i am only 1 1/2 hours away from you, and i won't get anything with an antenna (aside from a few SD channels i already get on sat anyway).

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information