Recently I bought a 59 plate Yamaha YZF r125 with 1000 miles. When buying the bike I did not check that the ignition key opens the fuel tank.

When i bought the bike it had half a tank of fuel, after riding it around town I needed to refuel. I went to a garage but found that the ignition key would not open the petrol tank. This was the only key i got when i bought the bike, so i took it back home locked it up in my garage.

Now im stuck with what to do. I thought maybe the ignition was changed and i got a different key, so i rang up the dealer the bike came from and got the original key code, expecting the fuel tank to be the original lock. Unfortunately and £15 down it was not.

So iv got a key that starts and runs the bike, but no key to refuel the bike. I have been thinking about drilling the lock out and buying a replacement lock. But im worried i might get debris in the fuel tank which may cause major problems with the Carbs. Another option is to whack a massive screwdriver into the lock and force the lock open, but im not 100% sure how to go about it.

I have rang up my local yamaha dealer and they have told me that i could bring it to them and they would remove the lock and fit a new one, however they said they will try, "We will give it ago". So im not sure, and not only that they wanted almost £200 for the job, Labor, New lock and possibly pick up and delivery as im not sure iv got enough fuel to get there.

Another option i have thought about is taking it to my local lock smith, only 2 min drive away so i would get there on the current fuel, they have told me on the phone that they will get into that lock with no problem.

What do you guys think is the best plan of action from what i have said, or maybe something you might recommend i should do. No trolls please

Thanks for reading George.