Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_
    TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_
's Avatar

TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_'s Top 100

Just need to jiggle about with the list but hopefully they'll be up soon.

It's a mixture of classics and mainstream films I just like. If I think a film is of particular merit, that will push it up so it may be #51 instead of #59, but my favourite films will always come higher. For example, though Casablanca is in there, it's not near the top (shocking, I know).

Coming soon to a thread near you...

Cries&
    Cries&
's Avatar

Given that your quote is from The Red Shoes, I'm eagerly awaiting this list.

Juno MacGuff
    Juno MacGuff
's Avatar

looking forward to seeing your list.

rauldc14
    rauldc14
's Avatar

That's what I like to hear! A mixture of classics and modern favorites is always an exciting list to keep an eye on. I'll be looking forward to this one.

TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_
    TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_
's Avatar

Okay, here we go. This list'll be liable to be revised in a few months time- hoping to watch a lotta movies. Anyway:

100- Dil Se (1998)

'I don't know anything except that I love you- from the heart'

The title translates roughly as 'With Heart'. This is a love story between a radio journalist (Shahrukh Kahn) and a terrorist, complete with Bollywood dance routines (including the fabulous Chaiya Chaiya, performed on the roof of a moving train). Apparantly it did much better overseas than in India- perhaps because of the political story. Potent mix of Bollywood melodrama, Bollywood dancing, and political turmoil.

99- The Roman Spring of Mrs Stone (1961)

"When the time comes when nobody desires me for myself I'd rather not be desired at all."

This is adapted from a Tennessee Williams novella- not a play, as you might think. It may be slow paced but that brand of Southern Gothic/Tennessee Williams aging nympho and fit young man is addictive. The ending is suitable creepy.

98- East of Eden (1955)

"But you must give him some sign, Mr. Trask, some sign that you love him... or he'll never be a man. All his life he'll feel guilty and alone unless you release him."

Adapted from the Steinbeck novel, this is based on the biblical story of Cane and Abel. Cal, played by James Dean, is the rebellious son; Aron is the good son. They fall in love with the same girl. Sounds pretty average but the film makes the conflict epic- and believable. I really like the presumed-dead mother, who's not a nice lady.

christine
    christine
's Avatar

Nice start. Look forward to seeing the rest

TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_
    TheGirlWhoHadAllTheLuck_
's Avatar

97- The Fugitive Kind (1960)

"Wild things leave their skins behind them so the fugitive kind can follow their kind"

Based on a Tennessee Williams play called 'Orpheus Descending', this is a perfect example of the Southern Gothic style. Brando stars as the drifter Val who strikes up a relationship with his Italian boss, Lady, who's married to a nasty terminally ill husband, with a horrible secret. Filled with Greek mythological tones, tragedy, and surrealism, plus some hothouse Tennessee Williams melodrama...I love the play and Brando is particularly good as the sensitive stud.

96- Bride and Prejudice (2004)

"You know what they say. No life without wife."

Released only about a year before the dreadful Hollywood adaptation, this is a cute funny twist on Pride and Prejudice. Setting it in modern day India works because you still have the arranged marriages, and Mr Kholi (the Indian version of Mr Collins) is very funny. The songs are quite fun- it's not really a musical but it wouldn't be Bollywood without songs- although yet again we have an evil Brit and a nice American Darcy.

95- The Quiet American (2002)

"They say you come to Vietnam and understand a lot in a few minutes. The rest has got to be lived."

Set in Vietnam 1952, two men- one an older English journalist (Michael Caine), the second a young American (Brendan Fraser)- fall in love with a Vietnamese girl and become entangled in the country's political turmoil.
    I'm generally not that interested in political films or war films but the film has a strong story, thanks to Graham Greene (it's based on his novel), and a brilliant script. It did inspire me to read the book but I got sidetracked.

genesis_pig
    genesis_pig
's Avatar

Nice.. Quiet American has been on my to-see list for quite sometime now..

Juno MacGuff
    Juno MacGuff
's Avatar

Bride & Prejudice was a great movie.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information