Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    mark f
    mark f
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

I tend to live my life to give myself as much freedom as possible and I always have. I've quit jobs which were very well paying because I didn't respect my bosses and couldn't respect myself if I continued to allow incompetent bureaucrats tell me how to do a job for which I'd already received commendations and bonuses. In the film, Jack Nichoson's character says that "It's hard to be free when you are bought and sold in the marketplace." I probably quote that line more than any other whether it involves a job, politics, ethics, sports, movies or life in general. That's also one reason why I've never become a "conservative" because I've somehow been able to get through life without playing "The Man's" game and becoming just another brick in the wall (or at least I like to believe that about myself).

I was too young to be a hippie, but I still believe in something as simple as "Make Love, Not War". Easy Rider showed that people could search for the "American Dream" but in the late '60s, the odds were that if you didn't fit in, you would never find it. The problem was that fitting in didn't seem to help fulfill anybody but it did breed contempt for others unlike you, and I find that to be the opposite of what I would hope would be American ideals.

I've posted these before around the site. They aren't spoilers, so they will show you what i'm talking about.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zHd6m_cirrU[/youtube]

Then again, I also find the sense of humor and general creativity of the film to be of a high order. This is a scene from the night before where Nicholson tries grass for the first time.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=73PnAymHAHk&feature=related[/youtube]

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Day 32: June 1st, 2010

The Game

The Ending Did Not Ruin The Film For Me.

Nicholas Van Orton is given a strange birthday gift from his brother. It's a card that tells him to go to this place called CRS, Consumer Recreation Services. They give Nicholas a chance to be a participant in a game. Things get a little too out of hand when the game itself becomes life threatening and Nicholas can't seem to stop it.

The Game is never really mentioned when talking about Fincher and his body of work, good or bad it gets left on the cutting room floor. I guess it's because the film is the middleman sort to speak. You have Se7en, and Fight Club, his two most popular and fan favourite films. Then you have Panic Room and Alien 3, considered lower calibre. Zodiac and Benjamin Button seem to be in a totally different class here, but The Game deserves to be mentioned because it is a well written, thought provoking thriller that manages to peel away at it's mysteries and never have the viewer bored. Even the film's ending, which many people seem to complain about, did not make me hate the film, or think the first 80 or so minutes were a waste.

The film looks and feels just like Fincher's others. It's cold, dark and unforgiving. He manages to craft his most suspenseful film to date and having Michael Douglass run around trying to solve the mystery helps the case. I'm a sucker for films full of mystery, that slowly but surely peel away at those mysteries to reveal the truth. A lot of crime films are like this, but The Game is something different. A bit more psychological, another reason why I liked it so much. Much like Memento, we are lost like the lead character. We know it's a game, he knows it's a game. But we, nor him, know exactly what the game is or what is happening next. We are trying to solve the same mysteries and Fincher makes us care about these things.

Complaints for the film are ones that would have me base the film is reality. To believe the stuff that happens in the film is for one to suspend a lot of belief. The film ends in a way that made me think whether I liked it or not. I would have preferred the first ending, as opposed to the second one, but the way they did it didn't ruin the film. I'm not sure how I will feel on repeated viewings, but as it stands, the thrills were still there and I still enjoyed them. I'm still left with some character motivation questions, some that I will not go into for the sake of spoiling things in the film.

Douglass, whom I usually hate, does a great job here. He is a jerk that slowly begins to unwind his sanity. His Gordon Gekko demeanor works here and yet we still root for his character. Sean Penn has a small role, one too small for me to really comment on and the supporting cast usually only have a scene or two to do anything. Deborah Kara Unger plays a good role in which we have to decide whether or not we trust her. She usually plays wackos.

The Game is something that might frustrate you with the ending, but that's what films are all about, getting some kind of emotional response. I'm not a fan of the last 3 or 4 minutes, to me it seemed to be tacked on by pressure of the studio and would not be something Fincher would normally do. But in the end, The Game is a worthy film if you are looking for a suspenseful thriller.

[rating]3.5[/rating]

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

I hate the word "re-imagining", it's just a fancy word producers say so they don't have to say remake.

I did like Washington, but Travolta just seemed really off for me. I think that role could have been handled differently with another actor.

As for the plot twist, I re-worded it. But I don't think it really did anything to the story, or would even call it a plot twist. Just a shallow ploy to get a bit more backstory on the character.

As for out of hand, why would this guy risk his life to chase after these people? It doesn't make sense. He's a family man. His job was done, but he decided to run after them, totally inane. He didn't even know how to use a gun. He was able to go home to his wife, but he chose to go against that and put his life in danger for what? It wasn't his problem anymore. There were dozens of cops/swat guys out there to handled it.

Although, it wouldn't be much of a movie if Denzel didn't go after them himself.

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Day 47: June 16th, 2010

Funny People

Apatow Matures As A Filmmaker, But Forgot To Tell Us.

George Simmons is dying of a rare disease. Upon reflecting on his life, he becomes aware of all his past mistakes, choosing the money and fame over more important things. He tries to go back to his roots, stand up comedy. Be bombs on his set, but takes to the liking of Ira Wright, an up and coming comedian. He hires Ira to writes jokes for him and to become his assistant. When Simmons discovers that he might have beaten the disease, he decides to try and win back the love of his life, taking Ira on the trip with him.

That last part is not a spoiler of any kind, since every trailer states that he doesn't die and does indeed beat the disease. There are numerous things that misfire with Funny People and many things that it nails right on the head. The biggest problem is that people were not expecting it to be so dramatic. Apatow has matured as a director and writer, but he forgot to tell the audience, which resulted in a mediocre reception to an otherwise decent film.

The film stars the usual Apatow crew, Jonah Hill, Leslie Mann, Seth Rogen, but the main star is long time friend of Apatow, Adam Sandler. This role is a bit odd for Sandler, he is basically playing himself, but a more serious and dramatic side of himself. Simmons starts out in stand up comedy, makes it big with goofy films like being a Merman or having his adult head stuck on a child's body. The life mirrors Sandler's career, and the film acknowledges this with old tapes of Sandler in his younger days. Seeing Sandler that young doing his thing was what stood out the most to me. It was the most genuine moments in the film, an older man reflecting back on his career, the memories and the more funny times.

Funny People tries to be too many things and while some of it is really funny, the depressing subject matter of death and lost love is a bit too much for people going in expecting another Knocked Up or Virgin. The fact that the film plays out like two different movies doesn't help either. What at first looks to be a film about a man trying to accept his fate in life or death, quickly becomes a film about trying to win back your lost love. Is Funny People also a romantic comedy? The film is really long, there were so many parts that could have been cut out. This is coming from the guy who thought Virgin had the right running time. I think the switch in the narrative of the film attributes a lot to the film dragging out longer than it has to. Apatow needs to learn to cut stuff out of his films. Make them shorter, this isn't The Ten Commandments.

Funny People hosts a lot of great cameos from comedians though, many of which are really funny. Eric Bana has the funniest role out of everyone, which is surprising considering he's in a film with dozens of comedians. I guess it's true, seeing the straight laced guys do something fun is always the most entertaining part.. Sandler and Rogen both do well in their roles, even if at times I found their character traits to be a bit odd. Rogen specifically, I can't place my finger on it but he seems to be playing a more mature, drug free loser version of Ben Stone. His weight loss jokes were funny and a nice addition of humour from Apatow and crew.

Funny People is a good movie, marketed as something funnier than what it was. The film is a serious look at life, just from a comedians point of view. It's hard not know that most of the material is from both of their background in stand up and their lives, Sandler and Apatow. You can see the sense of history from comedians in this film and that is interesting. Funny People is funny, just not hysterical. It's depressing, just not cry worthy. It's good, just not great.

[rating]3[/rating]

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Day 9: May 9th, 2010

State of Play

Well Written & Acted, A Very Smart Thriller

A congressmen's mistress is murdered and his friend, who is also a reported, decides to investigate the crime. During the investigations, he and his team uncover a political conspiracy and their lives are now at stake.

State of Play is a smart adult thriller that is never boring, or exhausting. It can be compared to All The Presidents Men, but relevant for today's themes and issues. The film takes some sides in a political ground, but to me it never really harms the film. I was so caught up in the investigation and the characters that I didn't seem to care for what the film's themes and messages are.

Russell Crowe leads the film, in a role that really lets him shine. He manages to be sloppy, brilliant and comedic all in one. Rachel McAdams, who I have a crush on, continues to prove why she is a smart and talented actress. She won't fall from grace like her Mean Girls co-star Lohan. Ben Affleck is in another role that I can tolerate. It seems that when the guy is in a supporting role or behind the camera, he shines. His boyish looks and every guy attitude is gone, but he still has that young up and coming attitude that actually suits this role. Crowe really does stand out in this film, I've never been a huge fan of his, but this is definitely an under-appreciated role.

The film is easy to keep track of, despite it's many twists and turns while unravelling the mystery. There are even way too many characters, but we are still able to know who's who, who's responsible for what and why. The script is clear and concise and the direction suits that as well. Nothing fancy, just bare bones story telling and a director that wants to tell that story. The film is thrilling, despite lacking in any chase sequences. One scene in which our lead is stuck in a parking lot with another man and a gun is intense, even if we've seen all of it before.

State of Play is a mature film that audience seemed to skip. Which makes it even more of a gem to watch. It has strong performance and a story that doesn't feel cheap. There are subplots that do seem a bit out of place, just to add some more characterization to these people. But I can get past it. State of Play is easily recommended.

[rating]3.5[/rating]

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Day 40: June 9th, 2010

Hot Tub Time Machine

Great White Buffalo...

3 friends and one of their nephews go to a ski resort to get away from their boring lives and to try help one that almost committed suicide by accident. The resort isn't what they remembered, it's almost in shambles. They do find a hot tub though and upon entering it get completely wasted and spill some foreign energy drink on the controls, sending them back in time to the 80's. Thinking they can't do anything to change the past or they will screw up the future. Thus, they try to recreate the events that happened back then and try to find a way home before it's too late.

The title alone is what I think got a lot of people interested in the film, it's totally ridiculous and perfect for this style of comedy. The film even plays a joke on the title when one of the lead characters looks right into the camera and says "It must be some kind of...Hot Tub Time Machine". With nudity, drugs, cursing and a lot of sexual and crude jokes, Hot Tub Time Machine manages to stay funny throughout, something I found very surprising. As much as I like the Judd Apatow comedy troupe and their films, it's always refreshing to see a different comedy actually be funny and work.

The cast is an odd one, John Cusack plays Adam, the straight laced guy who finally let's loose when he is stuck in the 80's. Craig Robinson is Nick, the married one from the group and Rob Corddry is Lou, the self proclaimed asshole of the group. Clark Duke is Jacob, Adams nephew. He tags along for the trip because he is staying at Adam's house while his mom lives with her new boyfriend, whom he hates. The young actor manages to keep up with the older gents and even though may seem out of place at first, fits in as the film rolls on. Speaking of being out of place, John Cusack doesn't seem like he would be in this type of film, it's nice to see him play against type, sort to speak. He plays his usual self, just not in his usual self film. If you know what I mean. Corddry and Robinson play their roles perfectly and are the two highlights of the film, sharing the funniest scene involving a bet gone wrong and a bathroom.

I won't go into the time travel properties of the film, it doesn't for one second try to explain or even attempt to have a serious thought about the state of time travel. This isn't Back To The Future, even though George McFly himself has a supporting role here. As long as you can get pass the implausibility of the plot, you'll be fine. You should be able to judge that yourself by the trailer...or even the film's title.

Some minor problems involving characters for me though. Why does the reporter take a liking to Adam? Why was Chevy Chase so cryptic and did he really exist? These things are minor gripes on my end and if you are going into this film just wanting to laugh and not give two craps about that sort of thing, then you'll be able to overlook these details. It's definitely a teen comedy with an R rating. Sometimes it's fun to laugh at immature things.

I can see the film having a cult following. It seems to stand in the shadow of last years The Hangover, but people shouldn't be comparing the two. The only thing the two share in common is a drunken aftermath of problems. See the flick with friends on a Friday night and you will enjoy yourself. If you like comedy that involves oral sex, foul language, a man crying while having sex, and Chevy Chase, you'll be fine. If not, just look to the future.

[rating]3.5[/rating]

Yoda
    Yoda
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Should be tough, but I'm glad you're trying this again.

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

Day 10: May 10th, 2010

Six Shooter

McDonagh wins an Oscar for this Short Film

After a man's wife dies he takes a train back home. On that train he meets a young couple who are also grieving and a young man who doesn't seem to give a damn about other people's emotions.

This is the first short to appear on this list, it probably won't be the last. I'm not limiting myself to feature films.

The story is relatively simple, four people on a train, each one has something in common. Someone in their lives has just died, each one deals with it differently. The young kid doesn't seem to give a damn, the couple cry and try to isolate themselves and the man seems to be relatively at ease, clearly hiding his true pain. Gleeson is the man in this role and he is the one who seems to be observing all the emotions on this train. R

TheUsualSuspect
    TheUsualSuspect
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

I think the next set of films are more up Mark's alley.

honeykid
    honeykid
's Avatar

One Movie A Day Remix

That artwork is disgusting. Whoever gave it the green light should be shot. No, really, they should be.

Great film, though. I can't believe you wanted to watch The Wolfman over this, TUS. I hope you meant the old Wolfman film and not the new one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information