Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Drag Me to Hell (Sam Raimi,2009) [rating]3.5[/rating] (second viewing)

Even on a second viewing, I still love this film. There is a lot to like about Drag Me to Hell, whether it be the stylistic cinematography, the over-the-top acting or the "gross out" scenes - it all leads to a fun ride into Raimi's signature style and genre. It isn't perfect, but it is definitely one of the most entertaining films I've seen in the past few years. I could watch it over and over again.

This is what he should be doing.

Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Looking for Eric (Ken Loach,2009) [rating]2.5[/rating]

Despite the excellent directing by Loach, I couldn't help but notice the flaws. It's mostly the script the hurts the film so much, which is unbalanced and shifts tone too rapidly. For most of the film, the focus is on Eric and his evolution into a person that he would like to become, but then it abruptly transitions into a social drama -- which seems completely out of character for the film. Loach does express a lot of sympathy towards Eric, and there are plenty of hilarious scenes, but the script takes away a lot of the impact by being too scattered.

Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Mary and Max (Adam Elliot,2009) [rating]3[/rating]

Pretty good. Strong story and characters. The animation (clay) was incredibly well-detailed and thought through; nothing was left untouched. But, what hurts the film the most is the pacing. It felt off, at times. A few moments I found myself zoning out and losing interest, thus losing me in the emotional aspect. What also hurt it was the "on-the-noseness" of the narrator, though it worked through most of the film, it made me cringe a few times.

Overall, it's a film that should be seen for the animation, humor (very dark) and strong characters. It is flawed, but enjoyable, nonetheless.

Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Crazy Heart (Scott Cooper,2009) [rating]2[/rating]

Bridges definitely turned in a great performance. I'm not sure how much I liked seeing Colin Farrell as Tommy Sweet, but he wasn't bad. Although the overall product is good, there just isn't much else to say about it, aside from Bridges. Crazy Heart is sadly ultimately forgettable. However, the ending is something slightly different from the norm, but it wasn't enough to make the film memorable.

honeykid
    honeykid
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Is Crazy Heart a C&W version of The Wrestler? I know very little about it, but that's what it sounded like to me. It's also the reason I thought it might with the two awards that The Wrestler should've won at last years Oscars. Best Actor and Best Original Song (for which, I think I'm right in saying, Springsteen wasn't even nominated for.)

nebbit
    nebbit
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Will give the Losers a miss

Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

The Innocents (Jack Clayton,1961) [rating]3[/rating]

Superb technical work, that's for sure. If only the rest of the film had been as flawless. The story itself is solid, but, to be truthful, I never felt any of the suspense. Sure, it was there in the lighting and photography, but we need more than that. I felt let down by the ending, which sort of left me with an apathetic feeling about the overall conclusion; not exactly the "thoughtful" ending I had wanted, even if they asked more questions. It's still worth seeing, but the "thrills" and "scares" didn't add up to enough to make the film cohesive (far too inconsistent). There were definitely great moments -- like one particular sequence that used fades very well -- but other scenes sort of fell flat.

Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Valhalla Rising (Nicolas Winding Refn,2009) [rating]3[/rating]

Not a bad effort at all, but it's ultimately only interesting on a thematic and visual level. Refn successfully brings the "feel" of the viking age to life with gritty reality mixed with surrealism. Though Refn's visual style is striking, it does become a little overwhelming and distracting. Valhalla Rising also suffers from poor acting, aside from the protagonist. There are many interesting themes in the film about culture and identity -- and they are certainly subtle -- but the film never quite takes those themes far enough.

Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

It pretty much is, yes. I loved The Wrestler, and this one is decent, but it still doesn't come close in terms of quality.

Crazy Heart is enjoyable and reasonably satisfying, albeit forgettable.

Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Harry Brown (Daniel Barber,2010) [rating]1.5[/rating]

Definitely not an easy film to watch. Harry Brown's first act is undeniably solid, however, the film somehow descends into ridiculousness and excess. With the first act in mind, one is led to believe that the film is almost minimalist, but it slowly devolves into a mess. There are several disturbing scenes that could've been cut, and one scene early in the second act that could've easily been shortened. There are some good themes, but they are ultimately lost in the ridiculousness of the entire scenario in the 2nd and 3rd act.

Unfortunately the film doesn't really work. It's not a bad film, but it's not really a good one, either.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information