Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    honeykid
    honeykid
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

You might enjoy this one more than you think then, Prestige, as I heard it described as 2 hours of following Matt Damon from behind... No, SC, not like that.

The Prestige
    The Prestige
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Hmm, yours is the only negative review of The Crazies I have read, Just. I've yet to see the film myself but I reckon it'll be alright. Still interesting to have a different perspective on it though.

Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Robin Hood (Ridley Scott,2010) [rating]2[/rating]

Meh. Not exactly the epic that I wanted, but it was passable. But that's what might just be what the problem was: it's just average. Aside from some nice visuals and acting here and there, it's just not much of anything at all. Much of the story seems unbalanced, and the pacing is sort of sluggish. Scott seemed far too focused on the visuals, and ultimately chose them over the characters and story.

Ride with the Devil (Ang Lee,1999) [rating]3.5[/rating]

Certainly one of my favorites of Lee's. In a quiet, contemplative way, the film works very well. It's amazingly well shot in a simple, understated way (like the themes and film itself). Good acting and a very well-written script that had some terrific dialogue.

Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Bronson (Nicolas Winding Refn,2008) [rating]2[/rating]

Great performance by Tom Hardy and nice, energetic filmmaking by Refn. Bronson does do well with the topic of exploitation-meets-art, but it doesn't feel cohesive. One could argue that the superficial nature of the film is intentional, where we only see a "circus" like performer, but whether or not this works completely is what is up for debate. It fails to fully engage the viewer where we're inside of his head; instead, we're sort of left out in the cold. Again, this may be on purpose, but it didn't work completely for me. Bronson is definitely good and worth watching for Hardy's engaging and psychotic performance, but it falls a little short.

Kick-Ass (Matthew Vaughn,2010) [rating]3.5[/rating]

There are some very violent scenes which may be off-putting to many, but I think the violence brings down the "superhero myth", so, in that way, it is effective. For most of the film, Dave spends his time being beaten up. This was a pretty nice touch to the film: harsh, violent reality meets comic books. Of course, many could say that this may be done to death, but Kick-Ass still brings some refreshing material to the idea. However, Kick-Ass does feel a little clunky at times; it attempts to delve into the relationship between Dave and Katie which comes off as contrived and forced, or when the voice-over basically states what is happening in the scene. But, that might not be the center of attention when one is viewing this type of film, though it does become distracting. Putting all that aside, Kick-Ass works well in entertainment and orchestrating some pretty cool action sequences.

Chloe (Atom Egoyan,2009) [rating]2[/rating]

Egoyan directs a pretty decent sexual thriller, but it ultimately doesn't quite live up to its full potential. All of the acting is solid, with the exception of Max Thieriot. Chloe is dramatized a little too much with saccharine music and other manipulations that feel a little too calculated. There is definitely some nice photography and a few good scenes, but the first act is bland, which doesn't altogether work. Also, there is a pretty nice touch to the story and reveal, which certainly makes things difficult for the viewer. Egoyan shows strong direction with motifs and good set design, however the film isn't nearly as powerful as his masterpiece, The Sweet Hereafter (1997). Chloe feels hurried and incomplete, but it is worth viewing, if not just for the good acting and strong theme.

nebbit
    nebbit
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

Keep them coming Jus

honeykid
    honeykid
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

A Ridley Scott film that's just average or passable? I don't believe it... Oh, wait, yes I do.

I really liked Ride With The Devil though. I have that on VHS somewhere.

Justin
    Justin
's Avatar

Justin's Review Thread

I watched it in class. The teacher had a copy of it on VHS.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information