Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    JoelFavian
    So let me see if I have this right. I shouldn't ask "Is ______ good?" on this thread? Isn't this a recommendations thread? I don't understand.

LycanGod

help pls?

Quote Originally Posted by Skylark
    Quote Originally Posted by LycanGod
    hey everyone i just have a quick question, see i don't know if this question belongs to this topic but i don't know where else to put it...
    No mate you've got the wrong thread. Check this thread out for identifying anime series.

jhonsadins er... copy/pasting Tony K's moderation warning on the 3rd post to what end?

thanks for the heads up dude

dtm42
    (To any mods or admins: I apologise for posting on hallowed ground such as this. I'm only doing so to reply to this person. I thought it would be more productive to answer their question than simply report them as was my first impulse. Because of this, if you wish to delete this post, feel free.)

Quote Originally Posted by JoelFavian
    So let me see if I have this right. I shouldn't ask "Is ______ good?" on this thread? Isn't this a recommendations thread? I don't understand.
    This is a hub for recommendation threads, but it isn't a recommendation thread in and of itself.

If you wish to inquire about a specific title such as "Is Honey & Clover any good", then your first bet is to find the link for the appropriate genre. If you don't know what the genre it is (maybe you just overheard someone talking about it and were curious) then look it up in the Encyclopedia. If you do so, you will find the genres are:
    comedy, drama, romance, slice of life
    Then it is up to you to find the appropriate recommendation threads.

Needless to say, if you see the title in anyone of those threads (but especially multiple times in a single thread, or in two or more threads), then you can stop your search. You may still end up disliking the title if you eventually watch it, but that's only because people's tastes are different. Despite that, you know that at least someone liked it enough, certainly enough to stick their neck out and recommend it to others.

If you don't find a single mention in the genre threads, then (this is my interpretation) you can make a thread - but not post here - and ask about the single title you are interested in. What is definitely not allowed is just listing the Anime you have watched, and then asking for something similar. We still get that in the forums, despite this thread being stickied. And it drives us batty.

I haven't listed anywhere near all the tools available to you, mostly because if you look at the first three posts in this thread you will see all the hints, tips and suggestions you are likely to need. But if you have exhausted all the avenues and a decent opinion on a specific Anime still eludes you, then by all means make a thread and ask. There are quite a few people on this forum who are happy to help if you ask nicely enough.

Agito?
    Anyone know a good Mecha/ High School Comedy that is Shonen Anime that is 25 episodes long the most?

Zalis116
    Quote Originally Posted by JoelFavian
    Tony K's post clearly states that it is not a recommendations thread:
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony K.
    Do not ask for recommendations in this thread. I will delete those posts when I see them, no questions asked.
    As dtm42 has said, this thread is more of a resource to help people find information about anime that they might like. It's the "Teach a man to fish, and he will eat for a lifetime" principle. If you want to ask about a specific title, you can make a thread for it. Just be sure to observe Tony's words on that matter:
    1. If asking for a (single) particular title, for example: "Is Azumanga Daioh any good," make sure you tell everyone what you've heard about that title so far (if anything, even if it's just a plot summary), what your expectations might be, and also mention series of the same genre you think could be a good reference source.

Unit 03.5-ish
    Just a quick notion here, do you group robot shows under action? I always kinda thought mech stuff was its own genre, but if not, well, sorry for the trouble.

dtm42
    Quote Originally Posted by Agito∞
    Anyone know a good Mecha/ High School Comedy that is Shonen Anime that is 25 episodes long the most?
    I do have a title in mind (three or four actually), but I'd rather be a jerk and not tell you than get on the wrong side of Tony K....

Quote Originally Posted by Tony K.
    EDIT: This is the one and ONLY rule you must abide by. You may ask about one title, and that's it. More than likely, most of you will fail in at least doing this much, but this is all I will offer in terms of negotiation. If you can't do it, then take an English class and work on your writing skills.
    ...however I'm willing to at least point you in the right direction. Go to this link, and try your best to find the information by yourself.

JoelFavian
    Thanks, fellas. I'm glad you didn't report me. I did read about it not saying it wasn't a thread for recommendations, but I was just confused on how to go about starting a question for recommendations. You see I just signed up to this cite and I have never been part of an active forum. The funny thing was that I was so intimidated by this cite due to the administrators putting up that thread on how you will be banned for a week if you post the same thing that someone prior posted. I actually read the whole thing and was little scared about being a part of this community at all. You already mentioned that you could have reported me simply for asking, I suppose, a "dumb" question. I'm also very unfamiliar with alot of the terminology used on forums and the like. Maybe I'll learn, if I'm not banned first.

KlausMkIII
    Sorry guys didn't see the recomendation post, only looked at first couple of pages briefly after registering. Must be really, really, really annoying for moderators, however I only need to be told once. I haven't seen a thread for fan art to discuss what anime you like drawing with what techniques and why, or to talk about specific pieces posted. If there is one would it be in general, if not is it allowed or even possible here? Or should I make my own site/ask this at a different ANN forum :?

Tony K.
    We've had threads about fan art before. They're hidden somewhere towards the latter pages and I don't mind if you revive them. If you have too much trouble finding them, however, feel free to start a new one.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information