Hello there! I'm going to be completely honest here: I am a bad artist. Drawing always seemed like something I would love to do, but my lack of ability discouraged me.
I've very recently taken up writing. I'm not so full of myself that I think I'll ever get published, but that's fine with me. I just enjoy the act of writing, once my story is done I'll be happy if it only is read by my friends and family. But who knows?
Anyway, for about a week now I've had the urge to draw one of the werewolves from my story. Basically, I want this for myself. So far in my life I've only tried drawing by hand, but I wonder if I'd be any better at drawing in, say, Photoshop. But I really don't want to spend hundreds of dollars on a hobby I might just completely fail at. I've read on the Interwebs that ms paint is not exactly 'high quality,' but then I've seen videos on Youtube of people doing amazing things with ms paint. So I have a few questions:
Should I learn how to draw on ms paint before considering purchasing photoshop?
Is there a less expensive alternative to photoshop?
What is a tablet? I've read that they're essential. How expensive are they?
Should I just stick to drawing by hand? If so, does anyone have any tips/tutorials for me to use?
If I draw something by hand, is there a way to 'scan' it into my computer? (Yep, I'm an idiot)
If I draw by hand, are there any supplies I must have?
Thank you for your time!