Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    ~+Yamiko

"A Rose By Any Other Name..." - The Remake Debate!

I hardly like remakes and sequels. But this is a remake debate so I have to shut my flappy mouth about sequels...

Personally, although I wasn't born in the 70's, I thought the 1st Charlie Angels movie was cool. The Ring was boring, not as scary as the Japanese version...

I bought Ju-On (The Grudge) a few nights ago and it was just freaky! I mean, really freaky!! I never watched the English version but from what my cousin told me, it's much more different.

I think the only reason American movies suck when it comes to having remakes from Japan is so that it could be PC (politically correct) and live up to the standards of American Media. Where as in Japan (and many other countries), their censorship laws on media tends to relax a little more. Or so I'm told.

So if you really want a feel of the movies, by the original! Even if you don't understand it, set the subtitles on.

Ruby_Slippers

Most remakes are pretty bad. Or atleast, not as good as the originals.

I'm really not excited to see the new Willy Wonka movie. I'm sure that Johnny Depp will do a great job but the movie is such a classic. Gene Wilder is the ultimate Willy Wonka and the music is timeless.

I guess I kinda have a soft spot for childhood movies... I don't like when people try to remake them. I really didn't like the "new annie". Because Carol Burnett IS Ms. Hangigan to me.

Ok enough with the vent.

~DresdenDoll~

Remaking Romeo and Juliet? Gotta say that's very original :lol:
    But are they gonna make a movie based on the poor play (again) or they're remaking Cukor's/Zeffirelli's/Luhrmann's versions? :lol: I hope it's Luhrmann's remake coz geeze it's been like 10 yrs already since it was made :lmao:

Oooh or maybe they're doing something more challenging like modern version loosely based on the classic of literature? :lol:
    (Although I must say that I really enjoyed some of this kind of movies, like e.g. 10 Things I Hate About You or Crime&Punishment in Suburbia :look

S.A.S.H.A.

I loved it, too. :love:

Sasha

JudyC

I must be the only person who liked the 1995 remake of Sabrina, with Julia Ormond. Ormond is not as effervescent as Audrey was (and who really could be?) but I still liked the movie. In fact, I watch it more than the original. The remake was slower paced and quiet, but it also had surprising emotional depth and wit. More so than other fluffy romantic comedies, like Maid in Manhattan or Sweet Home Alabama.

The 1995 version made me go back to watch Audrey's just for the comparison.

Anyway, that being said, I've hated some remakes (Love Story? with Annette Bening and Warren Beatty, for example) but sometimes I think they're necessary to bring a beloved story to a new audience. Anne of Green Gables and Secret Garden are two beloved children's classics that got the remake treatment in recent years.

As far as King Kong is concerned--Peter Jackson is a HUGE King Kong fan, so I am sure he will try to make the best movie he can. He will have a hard time following up on the phenomenal, once in a lifetime success of LOTR.

Judy :cat:

-res cogitans-

Great:

Romeo and Juliet- Just awesomely amazing!! so innovative

UnsilentMajorty

Bringing over from other thread...

(*I am getting sick of remakes*)

Where do I start...

The Grudge (Ju-On)
    The Ring (Ringu)
    Love Don't Cost a Thing (Can't Buy Me Love)
    Romeo Must Die (Rome & Juliet)
    Boys & Girls (When Harry Met Sally...)
    S.W.A.T. ('70s TV show)
    The Mod Squqd ('70s TV show)
    I Spy ('70s TV show)
    Charlie's Angels ('70s TV Show)
    Duke of Hazzard (coming) ('70s TV show)
    Vanilla Sky (Obre Los Ojos)
    The Getaway ('70s The Getaway w/Steve McQueen/Ali McGraw)
    Once A Thief (Once A Thief Hong Kong version)

What I hate more than blatant remakes of foreign films is when Wesetern directors rip off styles from foreign directors and claim they are being "innovative", I.E. Western directors who have heroes dual wielding pistols and other weapons jumping through the air in slow motion and say it is "ground breaking" considering that most Asian Action Films use these type of elements as staples and do it far more effectively than any Western hack could ever. I.E. McG and Bret Ratner and James Cameron to name a few.

mukooh

i'd introduced one of our old moderators, shrrshrr, to 'kyua'...there's so much to talk about in regards to this movie...we exchanged numerous pms discussing it......

'kyua' deals with short term memory loss...so far as i know 'kyua' has not been remade...at least not yet...

a brief snyopsis....a detective in japan investigates a series of murders where the killers have no memories of commiting the crime....the only thing that ties all the crimes together is that all of the killers had a brief encounter with a young man suffering from amnesia....

i was lucky enough to have seen 'kyua' (cure) in an "art house" theater about 5 years ago...i initially went to see it because it had one of my favorite japanese actors, kôji yakusho, in it....i'd been a fan of his ever since i saw him in the original japanese version of 'shall we dansu' (released here the united states as 'shall we dance'....if you haven't seen the original you've missed out on a wonderful film imo)....since then i've followed his career in just about every film that's he's ever been in.

'kyua' has been available on dvd for quite awhile now......and is worth the watch.....

Psycho Flower Child

Remaking Suspiria??????? WHAAAT?? No words..

mukooh

disgusted is the word as to how i felt after i came across this movie poster just now...just when i thought things couldn't get any worse in the lack of imagination department of american movie makers.........

would you believe another remake of 'the ten commandments'.....only this time it's an animated version......hey that's something new anyway...

voices by ben kingsley (narrator).....christian slater (moses)....alfred molina (ramses).....and elliot gould (god)

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information