Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    xallyx

A good soundtrack can really make a film

When I think "soundtrack" and "movie" two films pop into my mind. Romeo and Juliet and Easy Rider. I love those two films because of the music. I can honestly say that without the music, the films would be fairly mediocre to me.

taovande

I love when the soundtrack stays in the background and doesn't tell you how you are supposed to feel.

And going with the original post--Pride and Prejudice fits the bill. It's a quiet soundtrack that's absolutely perfect in every single scene.

As for songs with lyrics---I love The Departed and Romeo and Juliet Soundtracks.

Jacob1983

Original scores are usually more effective.

I don't really think an entire soundtrack can really make a film. I think that just one song in the movie can the film more entertaining and memorable. Star Wars and Rocky probably the best music ever especially with the Duel of the Fates in the new Star War movies. The end of Fight Club with that Pixies song is pretty good too.

BehrItAll

Yes he did I believed he worked on many (if not all) of Speilberg's films
    I'd have to look that up to be sure.

You know I don't know who did the The Godfather soundtrack
    I have to look that up too

I agree with Unsilent on this
    I think an original score is more effective.
    I have some excpetions (like Moulin Rouge) But in most cases I perfer an original score.
    esp for an epic story.

That would be way tooo weird :rotfl:

shrrshrr

UnsilentMajority - I tend to agree with that argument.

As for Apocalypse Now - I can't believe you even put the idea of a remake into the cosmos! The horror!

That is a truly horrendous idea...and sadly they'll probably do it.

When I taught the Film and Television class I showed Apocalypse Now as the ultimate war film - because it is. 18th, 19th, 20th-century war is just that - war - and the experiences will transcend the time period. It will always be in my top five films of all time, but then I adore Conrad.

UnsilentMajorty

Apocalypse now is one of the great American film classics, IMO. I might not seem very relevant to young(er) viewers because it takes place in the Vietnam war, but if you look at it as an essay on human madness (like the novel) and the effects any war can have on the human psyche then the film is timeless. I suppose in 10, 20 years another remake will be made and it will take place in Iraq, or a similar Middle-Eastern country knowing how Hollywood thinks

In my opinion, an original score is more effective.

This is because it takes a lot more work and effort on the director and composer's parts to actually come up with the actual score... from nothing... To fit the film and the emotions they both want to convey.

Contrast this to where, like TV, you can literally just grab a pre-made vocal or instrumental track and use juxtaposition (most common usage) to evoke the same emotional response or message with half the effort because the music is already made and doing a lot of the convey for the director especially if it is a vocal song. This is not to say vocal track usage can't be effective given some of the examples on this thread like "Sunshine of the Spotless Mind" and "Apocalypse Now"... But the danger a film maker runs into is that the vocal song is going to bring possibly unwanted baggage to the film/scene that he/she doesn't have to worry about with a completely original score.

Of course, the other part of this question you don't ask, ShrrShrr, is would using a vocal track in palce of an original score be more or less effective given the context of the film.

For example, can you imagine a rock song, or rap tune over the opening scroll of "Star Wars?" Or how about just some instrumental score over the love scene in "Top Gun" that was defined by Berlin's "Take My Breath Away?" I believe we have to take the context and intent of the film into consideration with your question as well.

Daniellemakeupgal

The Quick and The Dead
    Jake Speed
    Red Sonja
    Black Moon Rising

These are the ones that I can remember right now.

shrrshrr

Yes, that's it exactly. *nods*

Oh, yes - The Godfather soundtrack! All I have to do is hear those opening chords and I'm immediately thrown into that dark, brooding, moody family feeling, you know?

Who did that soundtrack? *goes to look it up*

And thanks!

I'd forgotten about that! That was an excellent way to open a film. Also, if you can handle dark, intense broody films you should definitely see Apocalypse Now. But be forewarned it can be rough, especially if you never read Heart of Darkness and don't know what's coming.

So, new question - which do you think is more effective: a soundtrack with original score, or a compilation of different artists' work (whether new or classic)?

shrrshrr

Hey there - welcome to the boards! :wave: I hope you enjoy posting here.

So - do you remember what some of those films were? I totally agree with you, too, as I've seen films that were just mediocre or even forgettable but had fantastic soundtracks.

Daniellemakeupgal

It truely does, there have been a few movies that I have seen where the movie was aweful or just O.K., but I Really loved the music.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information