Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

A Good Year (Russell Crowe)

i didnt like his hair either. :lol:

Any word on when it comes out to dvd?

s i m o n e

I've seen it last night and I loved it. I kind of love romantic comedies. I'll definitely buy the DVD when comes out.

By the way, I hated Russell Crowe's haircut. :lol:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I cannot WAIT till it comes out on dvd! I saw it twice in the theaters and absolutely loved it!

Lonely Smile

Do we know when it will be released on DVD? I never made it to the theater to see it.

Miss GoodManners

Hi! I saw the movie last week because my mom wanted to watch it and since she isn't a "movie animal" like me,even I don't like Russel Crowe so mouch,I went with her and let me tell you that if I entered the cinema thinking "It's going to be a waste of time",I went out of the cinema thinking "Wow,that's a great movie! I'll suggest it around!". I totally agree UnsilentMajority about it,specially about Crowe's performance. He has a great comedic time,seeing him with big glasses and uncle Henry's clothes made me smile,sometimes he was bittersweet,some others funny,but he was very good! I think he should accept roles like that more often.
    The best thing of the film is probably the continuous shift from past to present to past again:we can see more Albert Finney in this way(and he's fantastic as usual)and we can undestand Max in a better way. The other actors were great,too,specially the one who played Gemma.
    Finally I have to say that the soundtrack is FANTASTIC! A great mix of genres and rhytms!I adore the song that's played at the very end!

UnsilentMajorty

I definitely recommend it not just to Russell Crowe fans, but fans of dramas about the human condition (love; family; etc.).

I also believe a lot of Americans... And specifically, Americans (I am one)... Need to see this film because it is such a different film, very European, but also because the themes and values it addresses are universal enough to carry the film and make it a worthwhile invest of their time if they are looking for something other than the average "dumbed down" Hollywood teen sex romp, or over-the-top action flick.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've heard nothing but good things about this movie. I wish I had made a point to see it in the theater, but I passed on it several times I had the chance, so I guess I'll be waiting for DVD now.

Thanks for the review.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Are you trying to make me jealous?? :lol: I wanted to see this movie ever since I heard Ridley Scott was teaming up with RC again. It sounds really good.

This is that type of movie I'm doomed to miss in theaters because nobody will go with me. I either need to find me a film buddy or just go alone (nahhhh...). But this is the era of the DVD (well Blu-ray and HD DVD now, crap!) so I'll probably watch it soon enough and will be able to properly comment.

UnsilentMajorty

Bumping this back up because I recently saw the film and I must say it is a very good, "lite" romantic drama. It is a romantic drama and NOT a romantic comedy.

The cinematography is gorgeous and the locations they chose in the South of France are awe-inspiring, but with a salt-of-the-earth quality that makes you want to cash in all your chips and spend the rest of your days in the vineyards

Russell gives a great comedic performance, but it is his ability to be introspective at just the right times that make his portrayal of Max very human and not such a cliche (the workaholic businessman) as it could have been. The scene where it is revealed he wrote the letter supposedly from his uncle is his character's turning point where you realize he isn't such a bad guy after all.

Abby Cornish also gives the movie a great charm playing an American "cousin" -- Who may or may not be whom she says she is -- And makes the story more universal for non-British and French audiences.

What I personally like about the movie is it doesn't try and pander to one audience (young; old; male; female) and just tells an interesting, uplifting story about prioritizing what is really important in ones life before it is too late. IMO, romantic comedies/dramas often try and pander to either male fantasies, or female fantasies of what the "perfect" relationship is going to be like and "A Good Year" instead focuses on different kinds of relationships such as family; legacy; friendship; honor; dignity and others all the while using humor as a way to get the message across without them being pretentious or condescending.

:star: :star: :star: :star: :star: out of 5 stars from me

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

oh sorry. i searched for one, but didnt see it.......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information