Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Anyone Get The "SocialLife" Application To Work?

The other day I noticed Verizon had a new Application called "SocialLife" for sale. It is suppose to allow customers to access Myspace, Facebook, ect. I downloaded the program and for 2 days it didn't work at all. So I called Verizon and the 2 people I spoke with had no idea what I was talking about. And this isn't the first time, Verizon seems to sell applications that they no absolutely nothing about. And since Tech support doesn't know what these are, they can't help. And getting a refund on a defective app is often times really difficult.

So I was wondering if anyone has gotten this application to work? And, why does Verizon keep selling things they don't no know anything about? I thought they tested and verified each app before it was sold?

https://products.vzw.com/index.aspx?...&appId=3121296

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I haven't seen this application before, it must be rather new. YOu can call tech support and they can get a test device to download the application to, that way they can attempt to assist you.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

They were going to file a trouble ticket, but I just told them not to bother. I can always try using the application in a month or two. I just don't see how I can call up tech support, and they have no idea what these apps are, or how to fix it. I thought they were tested before they were put up. But most of the time, the reps have to search through their database to find any details on the applications, because they are clueless. This is the 5th application I have downloaded that had some kind of problem, where the reps didn't even know what I was talking about.

Just from the looks of this app, it would never work in it's current form, because it is missing every single button and any kind of settings. It's just an empty app with 2 buttons; "Quit" and "Exit". So Verizon shouldn't have even bothered selling this yet.

This just annoys me more because with Java I could get anything I wanted. But with Verizon, I am their slave. So if the program doesn't work, I'm :!::!::!::!: out of luck!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Just keep in mind tech support are humans too. They can't know everything all the time. Most get it now applications such as this one are rarely used, so sometimes we do have to research it. Its impossible to be trained on EVERY single phone/product. We aren't super computers.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I know that; that is why I try my best not to be rude to reps. It's just crazy that so many reps don't have any idea what any of these apps are. We all take a big risk when we download them, because getting a credit back isn't the easiest thing in the world. I have been with Verizon for a few months now and ran into this a number of times. Then I downloaded Sociallife and the app doesn't even have any working features in it. So I just feel like Verizon is just throwing things up for sale, knowing they don't work, and also knowing we are not always going to get a credit for them if they are defective. Verizon is suppose to be the most dependable wireless carrier, but I'm getting the feeling they are the most money hungry instead. Even crappy Sprint rep's know what apps are on their network, and will give you a credit without much of a fuss if something goes wrong.

I'm just starting to lose some faith in Verizon. Firmware's crashing my phones, apps not working, credits not being given, hidden fees, account problems; I just expect more then this from Verizon. I know no carrier is perfect, but Verizon is the carrier that has won more awards for dependability then everyone else combined!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

only thought that really comes to mind is this:

is your phone one of the ones that is supported?

ive not looked into it much further than the page you linked, but they probably would not block it from being downloaded on an unsupported phone and make you either A) suck it up and pay the bill or B) call in and have it refunded if you can convince them.

edit... saw your info in the little box. nm. oops. well, too bad VZW doesnt support Java. but then again, if they did support Java, they'd loose millions of dollars worth of GIN downloads for those people who do the research into putting Java apps on their phones for free.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I received a phone call today from the Verizon tech, and he left a message that since the app isn't Verizon's; they don't really have all that much info on it. So I downloaded it again, and it is working now. What I think happen is that the application might not have been suppose to be listed just yet, because the app had no buttons or options within it. So this new version is the full version. And it is pretty nice. It's not that costly and lets you connect to a lot of different web social web sites. You can customize your profiles, upload photos, edit blogs, ect. So this is something I'm going to keep paying for each month. So whatever the problem was before, it seems to be fixed now. If Verizon had more of these cheaper app's, then I wouldn't have a problem using them. But some of them like Wikipedia and IMDB are really bland for the price and not at all worth the per-month price.

glad it worked out for you. just a thought here though. rather than pay a monthly subscription to a bunch of different applications, why not use the web browser to go to those websites? IMO it would be a better deal to go that route if you find that you are using a bunch of apps that interface with different websites.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Qualcomm makes the bulk of income on games and apps. Verizon makes some money, but not all that much. In order to create a BREW app, you have to pay Qualcomm; which most of the mobile software vendors worldwide companies don't do. Java is open source, so anyone can make any app and sell it. That creates competition. So Verizon would make 10+ as much, because Java has so many apps for sale. All Verizon has to do is work with these companies on making these apps that only work on that carriers network, just like Sprint, AT&T, T-Mo, ect do. And/Or create a part of that app that requires the Verizon network to work. This BREW path isn't doing all that much in all honestly and that is why Verizon is looking into other means.

If I was the CEO of Verizon Wireless, I would go the Java route. I would want 10 Million vendors worldwide ready and willing to create software for my customers. Instead of only having 10,000, because those 10,000 companies have enough money and patients to deal with Qualcomm's madness. And Verizon has already stated they are going another route for their 4G network, which proves to me they are getting sick of paying Qualcomm for everything under the sun!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I like the applications. Going to web sites takes loading time to do anything. If I can do everything I want right through an app, that is much nicer. Example. If I were to post a blog through my phone to Myspace. I would have to goto the site, log in, find the blog, write the blog, post the blog, and hope the network doesn't time out and I lose everything. I just used this app to edit a blog and it took me less then a minute. The other route would have taken me easily 10 minutes. So apps can make things easier. Now some apps like Ebay Mobile are not much different then the Ebay WAP site. So paying for that is pointless. But some apps are worth the extra cost to me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information