Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Phone(s)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Phone(s)

Ok, the Incredible is a great phone. That's the ONLY plus to this.

Let me present to you some cons to what you are planning...

Goto bill shrink .com and plug in what you are paying now with Alltel and then plug in what Verizon will charge you... it can automatically grab Verizon's plans for your area complete with pricing.

Then you will see... your free Eris isn't nearly free enough to pay for the ~+$500 it's going to cost you in increased plan pricing over the term of your Verizon contract. Add on your early etf cost... it's just not a smart move right now.

Edit.. why did when I posted the url for bill shrink did it change to the howardforums url? Is bill shrink an evil site or something?

Edit #2.. just went and ran the numbers for myself.. I would like the Incredible too. But...

Alltel $89.99 500 Smartpack with 15my circle
    500 min, unlimited texting and data + 15my circle (I usually burn through around 900 my circle minutes)

Verizon $110.00
    900 Minutes, 5000 text message (closest to unlimited I could get), Unlimited Data +5 my circle thing

Verizon $90.00
    450 Minutes, 5000 text message (closest to unlimited I could get), Unlimited Data

I couldn't make it on the cheaper Verizon plan.. not with just 450minutes and no my cirlce. So, $20 x 24.. $480 more just to have a Verizon phone.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Phone(s)

I can get the Incredible and the Eris for $92 total after rebates. The Eris is free and has a $50 rebate along with it. I'm also getting an instant rebate with the Incredible.

As for service, I'm going with the Family Share Talk 700 ($69 for 2 lines). This doesn't include "friends and family", but does include the unlmited "IN" calling and unlimted nights and weekends. Most of our "my circle" numbers were verizon cell numbers, so we are good there. Then add $5 for 250 texts on each phone (we don't text much). Then add $30 to each phone for data. After fees and taxes it will come out to roughly what we were paying with Alltel. It actually might be a bit cheaper because we get a 15% discount with Verizon.

See, the thing is, my ppc6800 is dying. So why isn't it a good time to jump now? Should I get the Hero that I don't want and be stuck with Alltel for two more years? It might be a different story if they somewhat stayed current with their smartphones, but I just don't see this happening. Maybe they'll change under ATN, but I'm not willing to just wait and hope anymore.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Phone(s)

I don't blame you for switching. If I had to pay for my cell phone bill I would bail on Alltel as well.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Phone(s)

Um, I'm new here, but I was with Alltel before the big buyout. I hope I'm not butting in..

psitech I hope you read this before you pay your ETF.

I re-up'd with Alltel right before VZW bought them with a 2 year contract. I'd had my blackberry all of about 3 months and I called Verizon and told them that I was an Alltel customer and wanted to switch bad. The lady on the phone said you bet. As long as I signed with Verizon, there was no ETF with Alltel.

So before you pay that ETF, call VZW and talk sweetly and they may not make you pay that fee. I'm not saying what they will do, I'm say it doesn't hurt to try to get out of the ETF if your going to switch to VZW.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Phone(s)

I'm pretty sure it's a little different in my case. I haven't called to cancel my service with alltel yet, but I have placed my order for verizon. In order to have our numbers ported, they have to still be active. I'm not sure verizon can do anything regarding whether alltel makes me pay an etf or not. My alltel is owned by atn, not verizon.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information