Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New FAQ/Q&A *Add FAQ's/Q&A's you think should be included here*

if I buy at retail, used, or eBay an Alltel brand phone,
    How do I switch over to my: either current plan or a new user plan?
    Are there other caveats to look for when buying used?
    Like ESN or the such?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Again, this sticky is meant to be ONLY Questions and Answers, not questions for help or discussion. If you search the Alltel section, your questions has been answered many times. Please post this in the main Alltel section. Mod, please delete or move this post to the main section; Thank you!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

it was posted so so that it could be answered correctly and stay in the sticky.

I posted the question,... how bout someone posting the correct answer,...

Since it has been answered many times it then needs to be in the sticky. Which it in not. :befuddled

My whole point for posting the question. :befuddled as I personally didn't feel comfortable posting the answers I have seen. :angry:
    I have read previous answers, I wanted to get the correct one posted where it should be.

I was just trying to help the FAQ grow and become more knowledgeable those who are not gurus such as yourself...not to get bashed for helping out the site :arguing:

I'm sorry if I didn't catch in the rules where you had to post and answer your FAQ.... this is what I read ----- VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

:mod:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=hhp_211]it was posted so so that it could be answered correctly and stay in the sticky.

I posted the question,... how bout someone posting the correct answer,...

Since it has been answered many times it then needs to be in the sticky. Which it in not. :befuddled

My whole point for posting the question. :befuddled as I personally didn't feel comfortable posting the answers I have seen. :angry:
    I have read previous answers, I wanted to get the correct one posted where it should be.

I was just trying to help the FAQ grow and become more knowledgeable those who are not gurus such as yourself...not to get bashed for helping out the site :arguing:

I'm sorry if I didn't catch in the rules where you had to post and answer your FAQ.... this is what I read ----- VVVVVVVVVVVVVV

:mod:
    .[/QUOTE

Sorry if I seemed harsh, but I've never seen a FAQ made from questions - usually you enter the question along with an answer, at least in every FAQ I've come across :befuddled ..also if you wanted it in the sticky you could have added something such as "could someone chime in with an appropriate answer for this question for the sticky"...it wasn't worded at all like something that would be a FAQ.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Q: if I buy at retail, used, or eBay an Alltel brand phone,
    How do I switch over to my: either current plan or a new user plan?
    Are there other caveats to look for when buying used?
    Like ESN or the such?

A: If you buy a phone at full retail price from Alltel, you DO NOT need to extend your contract. If you don't have a contract with Alltel at all and buy the phone at full retail price, you DO NOT need to start a contract, all you need to start is "service". You will pay month to month, and have NO $200 ETF if you buy equipment at full retail price. The exact same goes for phone's from ebay or other "used" places. To switch a phone over to a current plan, just call 1800alltel1 and select option 3 (listen for survey to which you select option 1 or 2), and continue pressing option 3 until you get to a person. Tell them you have a different phone you wish to swap out with a phone on your X line (X being the line of the number you want to switch out; example - X = (222) 222-2222). They will ask for the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) of the phone, which is on the sticker underneath the battery of your phone. They will guide you through getting the phone set up on your selected line. If you have a phone you purchased at retail, on ebay, etc. and you DO NOT have Alltel service, you should go to your local Alltel store and set up new SERVICE, not a contract. Do not let a rep make you sign a contract if you have your own equipment.

What to look out for when buying a used phone from Ebay, etc.:
    - Make sure the phone is CDMA, and NOT GSM technology. GSM phones from providers such as AT&T, T-Mobile, etc., WILL NOT WORK ON THE ALLTEL NETWORK.
    Phones from providers such as Verizon, Sprint, and U.S. Cellular will work for voice and basic text, but be warned Alltel is NOT SUPPOSED to activate other carriers phones, so you will have a hard time getting a non-Alltel phone activated, UNLESS you activate it over the phone, and tell the rep that it is a phone Alltel has (eg. pick a model that Alltel carries or has carried that is close to your model phone, and tell them the phone is that model). But again, with a non-Alltel phone, only voice and basic text messaging will work without "hacking" or "modding" your phone. Some Alltel stores and in-store reps will activate a non-Alltel phone for you, but they are hard to come by.
    - Check the phone's ESN number. If you are thinking of buying a used phone from Ebay, etc., always ask the seller for the phone's ESN number. Call 1800alltel1 and do the same option 3 process I described above, and when you get on the phone with a rep, tell them that you are considering buying a used phone, and want to check the ESN number to make sure that the phone can be successfully activated. The rep will ask for the ESN number, you give it to them, and they will check it and tell you if the phone is good or not. Obviously, if the ESN is not good, DO NOT BUY THE PHONE. If a seller refuses to give you the ESN number of the phone, do not buy the phone, unless you are certain you can trust the seller to sell you good equipment.
    -Just make sure the phone plain works. If the phone doesn't power up, has large cracks, etc., you probably don't want it, or it won't be a reliable phone for you to purchase.

There ya go, hhp_211, teamwork. :buddies:

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information