Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New FAQ/Q&A *Add FAQ's/Q&A's you think should be included here*

If you think a FAQ or Q&A is needed, add it, and then I will copy and paste everyone's additions into a new thread that we can get stickied. (Giving credit for everyone's contribution(s), of course)

Here goes:

1. Q: Can I buy a prepaid phone for Alltel U, and transfer it to my regular (postpaid/contract) account?
    A: Why yes, you can. You will have to pay the cost of the phone on prepaid service, a 35 dollar activation fee, and 20 dollars of minimum airtime. After that, you can simply switch the phone to your postpaid account. Many people do not even leave the store before switching their prepaid phone to their postpaid account.

2. Q: Can I use a phone from, say, Verizon, on the Alltel network?
    A: Yes, but only voice and basic text messages will work. Getting other features to work requires programming not for the novice user. Some phones can have the Alltel software put on them to make most or all services work, but ONLY if the software file can be found on the internet.

That's all I can think of off of the top of my head (plus it's getting late). Please add what you think needs to be in a new FAQ; lets get a large list going, people!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Q. What is tethering? What does it cost to tether? Does Alltel really know when I'm tethering?
    A. Tethering is using your phone as a modem to connect to the internet wherever on the Alltel network. Tethering is $25/monthly for non-smartphones, and $10/monthly for smartphones. Yes! Alltel does know when you are tethering! In the TOS it states Alltel can charge a high rate if you don't have the proper plan.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Q. Can I use a smartphone without a data plan?
    A. Yes, however any data used would go against your minutes. The only exception to this is the BlackBerry smartphones, you CANNOT use a Black Berry smartphone without a data plan. A add-on data plan for Black berries are $44.99 (?), for other smartphones it is $29.99.

Q. Is a smartchoice plan required with a smartphone?
    A. No, however, if you buy the phone at subsidy (non-retail, 1 or 2 year contract price from Alltel) it IS required. But if you buy it off eBay or used or at retail price it is NOT required. Regardless of what some employees tell you.

Q. Can I change my smartchoice plan to another non-smartchoice plan?
    A. Yes and No. If you bought the phone at the subsidy (non-retail, 1 or 2 year contract price from Alltel) then you must stay in a smartchoice for the duration of the contract. BUT, if you bought it at retail, used, or eBay then then you can change the type of plan you have from the smartchoice plan.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Q. Can I use *insert GSM phone here* on the Alltel network?
    A. Sorry, but you cannot. Alltel uses the CDMA network, where *insert unlocked GSM phone here* is a GSM model, and will not work on Alltel.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

[quote]1. Q: Can I buy a prepaid phone for Alltel U, and transfer it to my regular (postpaid/contract) account?
    A: Why yes, you can. You will have to pay the cost of the phone on prepaid service, a 35 dollar activation fee, and 20 dollars of minimum airtime. After that, you can simply switch the phone to your postpaid account. Many people do not even leave the store before switching their prepaid phone to their postpaid account.[quote]

When I did the above and had to do an instore exchange with my v9m, the salesperson had a little of an "hmm, I know what you did and if you feel okay doing something wrong, then that's something you have to live with" attitude. Do the PTB at Alltel frown upon this practice? I actually don't like doing things "wrong" or that I shouldn't do, but this way beats the heck out of resigning for 2 years--not that I won't stay with Alltel, I just like the option of getting new phones AT LEAST once a year (really more).

Tx.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=Jocelyn Peters][quote]1. Q: Can I buy a prepaid phone for Alltel U, and transfer it to my regular (postpaid/contract) account?
    A: Why yes, you can. You will have to pay the cost of the phone on prepaid service, a 35 dollar activation fee, and 20 dollars of minimum airtime. After that, you can simply switch the phone to your postpaid account. Many people do not even leave the store before switching their prepaid phone to their postpaid account.

The reps "attitude" was probably because he/she won't be getting commission for the 2 year contract/phone you could have gotten through them. I'm sure once the penny pincher's at Alltel figure out people are saving by buying a prepaid phone and switching it to postpaid, they will stop it, but have fun with it until then!

**Also, please keep this thread FAQ's/Q&A's only, no discussion. Thanks!**

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

it's just my money they didn't send me back for my rebate...

[QUOTE=Jocelyn Peters][quote]1. Q: Can I buy a prepaid phone for Alltel U, and transfer it to my regular (postpaid/contract) account?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

[QUOTE=b34n5]it's just my money they didn't send me back for my rebate...

Was that really necessary? And AGAIN, please no discussion; FAQ's and Q&A's only.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Q: What do I need to submit to receive my rebate?
    A: In your rebate submission you will need to include:
    a) A COMPLETED REBATE FORM
    b) A COPY OF THE RECEIPT
    c) A COPY OF THE FIRST PAGE OF YOUR WIRELESS BILL
    d) THE UPC LABEL FROM THE BOX OF THE PHONE

*******MAKE COPIES OF EVERYTHING YOU SEND IN*******

Q: What do I do if I don't receive my rebate in 10-12 weeks, or if I receive a denial post card?
    A: Don't worry, you still can get your rebate check.
    first, read the reason why the rebate company denied your submission. second, gather your copies of rebate material. third, resubmit your materials with the denial postcard (if applicable) by:
    MAIL: Rebate Special Services
    P.O. Box 028516
    Miami, FL 33102-8516
    EMAIL: [email protected]
    FAX: 1(800) 886-8370

Q: Where do I check the status of my rebate?
    A: alltelrebatecenter.com or call 1-800-460-0942

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Q. Where can I find other FAQ's that Alltel has already answered about phones and services?

A. https://alltel.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...p_sid=epevp5Ni

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information