Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

new to BB, have a few questions

Hello everybody, my name is Chris and I just purchased a T-mobile Pearl today (and will have it sometime early next week). I've had T-mobile since 1998 when I first moved to Texas (Well, it was Arial, and then Voicestream, and then Tmo). I'm posting this in the Tmo forum as opposed to the 8100 forum because I want Tmo specific information.

I have a few questions. I am coming from a T-mobile MDA with WM 5 installed (most recent version from TMO). I've been surfing these forums for about 2 hours and havent' found exact answers to some of the questions, and the first is a complete n00b question

1) Is the BB always connected to GPRS? I had a problem with my MDA only connecting when I told it to, or connecting slowly when an MMS was being delivered. Hypothetically I turn it on and then I'm online, ready to go for e-mail, web, IM, etc? I just wanted to check, haha. (I figured that MUST be one of the appealing features, or nobody would use the darn things)

2) On MMS messages, I understand T-mo + Pearl != something good in that category. Are they completely crippled? Or do they only work sometimes? I read about phantom MMS messages ... and undrstand that the first thing I should do is MMS myself, and then will it just go down the tube, or what? I do have the unlimited data pkg at $19.99 + unlimited messaging.

3) I'm completely overwhelmed by additional software options. I've decided to get the Gmail program (is there an advantage to this over forwarding my gmail directly to my @tmo.blackberry.net address?), and the program to change the trackball. What else does everybody suggest? I am a student (senior in college), doing some pro-bono/contract consulting for PR/Marketing/ADV and wanted e-mail on the go (and I refused to pay $49.99 for Total Internet).

4) I'm completely confused by Blackberry lingo. BIS, BES, I think I understand what the PIN is, but I haven't been able to pick it up just from context. So help!

Thanks in advance everybody! And I hope to get to know some of you for when I really need help, haha.

Chris

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1) It is true push mail and you will get your mail the instant someone sends it to you. You can always get on the web too whenever you want without having to tell it to connect. You will love your new BB.

2) Yes you can MMS yourself to see what comes up and if that doesn't work call BB tech support at: 866-815-2701. I had issues my first couple days, but after that it has worked perfectly except for Father's day.

3) My BB plan is $20 for unlimited data- not $49(unless u meant for a PC based ISP). Anyway you can get the ColorPearl app which makes your pearl change to what ever color you want. It's cool. I have the gmail app on my phone, but you don't really need it if you have your email set up through a BIS(blackberry internet server) or BES(blackberry exchange server). I have the gmail only as a backup. Check here for anything you might want: http://blackberryforums.rabroad.com/downloads.html

4) I already explained BIS and BES, but the PIN is your phone's special ID number for the Blackberry messenger. If you go into settings(the wrench) and then select Status you will see it there. You can then ask people who also have PINs that you would like to talk to via Blackberry Messenger(which is included in your BB data plan and is an instant messenger like AIM or Google Talk) to accept your invite in the BB messenger settings menu.

Anything else you can think of let me know. Feel free to PIN me anytime. I came from Windows Mobile as well and absolutely love my BB.

My name is Bob.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hi Chris!
    1.Yes you are always connected except not to GPRS.Instead its EDGE, which is faster. On the home screen when its in all caps, your connected. Lowercase, not so much.

2.There is a crazy known issue with mms and BB. They may be blank. Its intermitent and being worked on.

3.I had the Gmail app and then deleted it. I have it configured also, so it seemed silly to have both ways.I have JiveTalk for IM. Its better then OZ IM app on the device and allows you to be on more then 1 IM client at a time. It is free for 30 days, then a one time fee of $20.00. Worth it if you IM.

4. BIS = Blackberry Internet Service. Its what you need for internet and email access.19.99 a month. BES = BlackBerry Enterprise Server. Same as above but would also include being on a server at your job, provided by RIM. If your company had one you would connect and sync to it wirelessly all the time. Costs 29.99 a month. ~via BB (wap.rabroad.com)~

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Man looks like these guys did a good job of answering most of your questions.if you have anymore let us know. Feel free to pin me. But to be alittle more specific about the bis and the bes. If you needed to be on a bes you would know. The bes allows you to be on a corporste account so to speak its more secure. But the bis is the normal account which most of us are on. The othre two have gave you some great info. ~via BB (wap.rabroad.com)~

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the help!

And the $49.99 reference I made earlier was to T-mobile Total Internet, which is what the MDA required to get e-mail.

And thanks for the tip about JiveTalk. I live on IM, so it's an investment I'll probably make.

And also to TmoTechGirl, I mentioned GPRS because Lubbock, TX has poor edge coverage (if any). But I always have the little "E" when I'm in Houston or Austin. =D

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can also download the free Google talk app and yahoo IM if you dont want to pay for Jivetalk, but Jive is a great product. It is pretty much like Trillian for your Blackberry.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks so much! You guys are awesome!! =D

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I hate to double post, but I don't know if it'll be tagged new if I just edit my old post.

I thought of another question. Since the black berry is a messaging device, does it have multiple inboxes (my MDA has an inbox for sms, one for mms, one for e-mail, one for hotmail, et al.)?

Or does everything get stored in the same inbox with different icons? If so, is there a way to filter it so only certain messages show?

Thanks!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry, one more question. I know Im' helpless. What kind of charger does the Pearl use? Mini-USB? I was trying to determine if I needed to buy a new car charger or not.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

yes, charges thru the mini usb port....cant testify if your existing car charger will work (or fry?)...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information