Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

T-Mobile in NC or other "roaming" areas

So I have Cingular now, but want to give T-mobile another shot. I tried a Sony/Ericson T610 a few years back and the service was horrible in Austin. I loved T-mobile as a company, but the signal strength was just not there. Mind you, the T610 was known for this, and so was T-mobile at the time, and still is to some extent. I am willing to give up not having perfect coverage to get away from Cingular. Cingular neuters BB functions, costs more, and are generally a crappy company.

So, the question. I see where T-mobile has extended coverage that would work with the BB pearl, but in all of NC it shows it as roaming, not extended roaming. When you look at the downloadable PDF of the coverage map, it shows almost all of NC being included. So my question is, does anyone know how coverage is in NC under (presumably) Cingular service? Or if not NC specific, how is it in other similar areas, and will I pay roaming charges? I want to get the $49 plan + $19 bb plan. My wife and I plan on moving to NC, to Raleigh or Charlotte, so this is a big concern since there does not seem to be native T-mobile coverage there.

Any help you all can provide is appreciated.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have been throught NC and SC witht he BB. T -mobile uses a company called Suncom.. I have never had a problem with service all was good when I was there.

~via BB (wap.rabroad.com)~
    I'm here in Charlotte with T-mobile. Oddly enough, more than half the time I show being on T-mobile. The other time I'm on Cingular. No extra roaming charges and always on the EDGE network. The only downside is you have to get an 803 number, they would not port my existing 704 area code number since they do not service this area code, technically. But the service is great save a few dead spots within malls and such. And the lack of a brick and mortar store. But I'm more than happy with the low bill and exceptional customer service.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You might want to watch out where you use your phone. If it is more than 50% in a roaming partner, T-Mobile will axe the account. Otherwise, for a detailed view, try this website...

http://compass.t-mobile.com

Good luck!!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I work for tmobile and as long as you get an nationwide plan you will not incur roaming. but if you get a family plan the "mobile to mobile" will bill as peak time because mobile to mobile only works on a tmobile network.

hope this helps
    Kris

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Welcome to rabroad Kris

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for all the help guys. One last question. I was told by a T-mobile rep at a local store that I could sign up for a new account and get a new assigned number, and then port my number over later (in case the coverage is a problem). Is this true? and if so, how long do I have to do this?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

You can start an account with t-mobile, the rep can assign you a temp number so you can try out the service. Once you have made your final decision to continue with t-mobile you can call the Number transfer center, give them your account information and they can transfer you number over for you. usually takes anywhere from 2 to 24 hours.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks, I am seriously almost done with the questions!

If I am going to buy on amazon.com, will it be possible to do that, the temp number? Is it specifically a temporary number, or is it just a new number? Does that make sense? I just want to make sure I can still order this from amazon (to get the phone for $50) and not make it to where I am stuck with a new number.

Thanks again for all the help, everyone is so great here!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

the same thing still will apply, amazon.com will get you a number. you just call the number transfer center and tell them you have decided to Port your know over.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information