Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

How to get out of your contract, even if you have unlimited texts...

Just noticed something interesting, although I haven't done it and probably won't since I have no reason to jump ship (and my contract expires in September anyway).

I have the minutes and mail plan with unlimited messages (text and MMS i believe), and therefore should not be affected by the new rate increase, so I though. I noticed on my last bill that I had a 0.15 charge for messaging, and called Tmo about it (not a big deal, but still was not right). Turns out I sent an MMS from my phone to an email address, and therefore it was charged as a regular text message because it is not part of the "unlimited" text package.

What does this prove? It proves that when the rates change, even with an unlimited text package, you will STILL be materialy affected. So for you guys with unlimited texts that want to get out, send a text/MMS to an actual email address and take the 0.15 hit...you'll be able to justify that the changes in terms does in fact affect you.

My contract expires in September anyway and I am in no hurry to switch to anything else yet, so I'm staying as is.

Anyone who actually does this and succeeds, let us know!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

nice this is exactly the answer i was looking for. im gonna try it out and i will let you guys know how it turns out

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

If you try it, let us know if you were able to keep your number too.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I've done that before and didn't notice any extra charges. But I know international SMS are not included in my plan. Still haven't figured out if the international rates have changed as well.
    ~via BB (wap.rabroad.com)~

MMS messages are not part of the minutes and mail plan. Only regular SMS. I highly doubt u can get out of your contract over it either way. Why would they do it if u could?~via BB (wap.rabroad.com)~

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't have any text plan at all so the few texts I have sent came out of that initial $5 in the flex pay account they give you,does that matter because technically I haven't been charged for a text yet. So will this change still apply to me enough to leave without a etf?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wait how do you send a sms to an email on a curve I only get a place to type a phone number and can't input the @ in this blank. ~via BB (wap.rabroad.com)~

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Go to a contact that has a mobile number and an email address.

Click the menu button, select MMS, and it will give you a choice to send to the phone number or email address. Select email address and send.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I don't know about that, I've sent several MMS messages this past month to other cell phones and have not received any charge for it. The only charge I received was the one MMS i sent an MMS to my buddy's email.

If you are affected by changes made to the CONTRACT, then yes you definitely can get out of the contract without paying the termination fee. This is from the t-mo contract:
    And this is concerning the rate increase from the t-mo site:
    Based on me having an unlimited messaging package, yet being charged for an MMS message (whether to an email address or not), the increase in price from $0.15 to $0.20 is a change that materially and adversely affects me. I am sure that I can get out of the contract since I was charged on my last 2 bills for these messages, but for those who haven't used MMS to an email and haven't been billed/charged, you may have a harder time canceling.

I'm not canceling because, like i said, my contract is up in a couple months anyway, but it's nice to be able to know I have the opportunity to jump to an iphone (uh, no thanks) if I really wanted right now. I'm actually waiting until the Bold comes out for t-mo (hoping!), then threatening to jump ship since my contract would be up and see what better deal they can get me to re-up my contract (going with 1 year this time).

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Last week I was having issues with sending MMS which was finally resolved. However, while I was on hold with TMO tech, the only way I could send MMS were two ways:

1. Edge network
    2. Wi-Fi sending to email address (ie [email protected])

The rep told me that if I send MMS via email that there is NO additional charge. I'll have to look over next months bill to see if that is true or not. I have the $19.99 unlimited text (any kind) family plan.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

In what corner do we have Search box?

Thread Information