Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Wood TW6-6 TW-555 Cam Dyno Test by Fuel Moto

Good point. I'm not sure how the corrected value is calculated so I don't know what the real impact on the numbers will be? Any mathmaticians around here with some answers? Back in the day, I failed calculus twice so don't ask me.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

subscribed

I don't like to post dyno charts because two dynos never seem to agree. I think rather than focus on peak numbers, it's more useful to get a general idea of the strengths or weaknesses of a particular part or combination of parts. I don't find it useful to look for the exceptional builds nor the low performing builds to build an argument for or against any particular cam or build. The only reason I posted this one was because it was kind of a follow on to a post earlier in the thread regarding bumping up performance beyond bolt in cams into a stock motor.

Having said that, the chart I posted is an exceptional build, and has had an exceptional tune. Not every local tuner is going to do 65 pulls to extract the last bit of performance from a build. (Although the good ones will keep at it as long as it takes) This one had a lot of time invested to get it perfect. It very well may have been a strong motor to begin with. The tolerances from the factory aren't as tight as we'd prefer, and two different bikes can perform differently even in bone stock condition.

It is uncorrected. Most dyno corrections actually correct the final numbers up, due to environmental conditions. The run conditions on this chart was 67* f, 30.54 hg, humidity 76%. That's fairly close to SAE standard conditions, so the correction factor would pull the numbers down, but only slightly. Dyno corrections are a whole 'nother can of worms. STD corrections generally run 6.5% higher than SAE corrections.

It's got forged flat tops, stock fuel injection, SERT, ThunderHeader 2-1. The compression is set at 10.3. I think it's got higher lift rockers, but I don't recall exactly. The chart was sent to me by a friend, who thought I might find it interesting. The heads have had some extensive massaging. If you're in the market for some head work, pm me and I can put you in touch with the shop.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Internal combustion engines can develop more horsepower if they are fed more oxygen molecules. More oxygen molecules are available when ambient air pressure is higher and/or the air itself is cooler. This would give all the engine builders/tuners near sea-level and close to the North Pole unfair bragging rights if dyno runs were done during December and expressed “uncorrected”.

Therefore, the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers, USA) developed mathematical equations that are applied to overcome this geographical advantage. Two were defined – one it titled “STD” and the other is “SAE”. Both of them apply the same mathematical rule for friction torque.

The “SAE” standard applies conditions of 29.23 In Hg and 77 F. The “STD” version applies conditions of 29.92 In Hg and 60 F. Note that the STD defines higher pressure and cooler temperature as baseline. Therefore, the mathematical H/P result is that STD H/P figures always end up being about 4% higher than SAE figures.

ETA: I only failed Calc once (that's a smiley, not a wink - I did fail it once and had to repeat)

ETA2: Apologies boogaloo - posted without seeing you had already offered a summary and then went and ate dinner. I think we're all saying about the same thing anyway though.

The standards are useful for "bragging rights" or some sort of nit-picking, sometimes important but only under critical conditions. Relative changes are much more important and can be assessed quite well "uncorrected".

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That's exactly right, which was my point in the "uncorrected" observation. The peak number isn't really that important, IMO. Rather the shape of the curve is what I prefer to look at. That sheet shows a tune that I would consider to be a good and ride-able bike.

My tune for a 105" with Andrews 54 cams came out to 105/105, but the torque jumps to 100 at 2500 rpm and carries out flat to 5000. It rides great, gets good mileage on the highway, doesn't ping when I jump on it, and (most importantly) pulls away from my riding buddy's 103" Heritage especially in top gear roll ons . My tuner said if I took it to the "other dyno in town" I might get 10% higher numbers. Would that sheet mean my motor is any different or that the bike runs any different?

All that to say, it is a great looking sheet in that the shape of the curves are indicative of a great tune and what has to be a fun bike to ride. Also, I have heard nothing but positive things about Dewey's Heads if that is who did the work in addition to the tune.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sorry for the late response, but wholehog you should give Bob Woods a call. He will know more about his cams than I can hope to pitifully summarize, but the compression should (ideally) be a little higher for the 555 than 6-6. I ride a lighter bike myself (stripped down XBNZ) and plan on eventually going to 103 or 107 with Baisley/Hillside type headwork. In the meantime, I wanted a little more compression, and am willing to take sound advice from guys like Scott at Hillside, who know more than I do.

Another poster was wondering about doing their own cam install. I'm doing mine right now and it's not that hard. Just go slow, get the right tools, and you'll be fine.

TedMan

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Damn - this sure brings back some memories.... (sort of) standing there holding gloves and helmet, smoking one cig after another, and trying not to bug the guy who really knew how to make the puppy run.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Thanks for the replies on the corrections. This has been a great education. Speaking of which, I did pass calculus the third time, but barely. It was a painful experience I try not to think about!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Hello all, here is an update on the 107 build. Last weeks testing created and overload of dyno work this week so it is a bit tough fitting our stuff in at the moment. I did find time yesterday evening to make some base runs on the dyno just to see where we are at and what the PC-V Auto Tune has done. It was over 100 degrees in the dyno cell and I just got the bike up to operating temp and did a good evaluation of where we stand so far. I have not tuned the bike yet, I started with a map I put together from my estimations and let the AT populate trims. It has a very conservative timing table as well. I was impressed at how well the AT adjusted the map, the only aspect was getting to all of the areas in the map to let it sample. I was being fairly easy on the bike as I broke the motor in and even when at full throttle I was shifting at 4500 RPM, and I spent no time in the upper RPM's at most throttle position, I also did not lug the motor so there was not much in terms of fuel trims in the lower RPM/upper throttle positions. Some of these areas showed up on they dyno, you can see that the AFR is not optimum over 4000 RPM, I will give it a full tune later in the week when we have better air and there will certainly be some good gains when the AFR and igntion time are perfect.

Here are a few details on this build. As you know it is a 2010 Street Glide with Jackpot 2/1/2, Jackpot mufflers, FM Stage 1 air cleaner, Dynojet PC-V-AT. Our 107 build includes a Revolution Performance 107" big bore kit, Revolution Performance Stage II heads which feature CNC porting, stainless steel valves 1.900" in 1.615" ex, new valve guides, and heavy duty springs with titanium retainers. We used the Wood KnightProwler TW-555 cams along with Bobby Wood's new directional roller lifters. We also used the Andrews EZ install adjustable pushrods.

I am very impressed with this combination. It pulls seamlessly right from idle and has a ton of power that is right there when you want it. Throttle response is excellent and it builds power very quickly. Torque at cruising speed is just awesome. The bike runs nice and cool as well. I cant wait to see what the results are once I give it a full dyno tune, I am expecting pretty awesome numbers, all of which I feel will be completely repeatable with this combination when we have everything ready. Our focus is to offer products and tested combinations which not only perform awesome on our dyno, but with the same results for our customers.

Fuel Moto 107" Stage II Kit UNTUNED, the only tuning has been with the Auto Tune over 200 miles. We will give this bike a full Dyno Tune later this week.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Now we're getting somewhere!

So Revolution Performance's head porting and Cylinders seem to be good fit and finish?

Do you see any reason NOT to use Rev Performance parts Jamie? I'm guessing if you're using them here, you're a believer in their product?

I know they "had" some issues.......all better now?

Chris

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information