Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Need opinions - want an 1098

Hello everyone!

I've joined this forum mainly to ask the following questions, so I hope I'll get some help from you guys and go from there.

I'm currently in the market to purchase a new motorcycle, I've been riding for over 10 years, and my current motorcycle is a 2004 R1. I enjoy the time I've spent on my R1; however I made a promise that my next bike would be something different and more unique. Since I've never ridden v-twins before unless they were guest rides on friend

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Take a look at this article. Ducati is advertising 50% less maintenace on the 1098 but some dealers are clinging to the old ways.

http://www.bikeland.org/board/viewthread.php?FID=32&TID=30661&set_time

In terms of reliability, I think some of the early 1098 had stalling problems but I don't hear too much complaints about it now. My 1098 is my 4th Ducati and I had no problems with any of them. Also had an '04 R1 too.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I never owned a "Superbike". I bought a Tricolore and never have regretted it. It has had it's teething problems like any new bike and my relationship with it has been one of love/hate. But I wouldn't part with it for the world. I still just stand there and look at it just for the sheer beauty and flow of it's lines. The performance is well beyond my capabilities as well. Should you buy one? If you have to ask then I suggest you don't. When you feel you've gotta' have a 1098 and nothing else will do then buy one.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

So how was the switch from the R1 to the 1098?

Its nice to hear the advertising says 50% less maintnance, interesting to say the least.

yes I have heard of the stalling problem, and some owners that I've been aware of are selling there ducatis because of this issue despite getting the problem fixed. I suppose they lost faith and dont trust the bike to travel anywhere of good distance.

The other poster stated if I find myself wanting a 1098 and nothing else, well thats the point I'm at, at the moment.

after all these years riding liter sportbikes (japanese), I think I'm ready to enjoy something unique.

Thanks for posting your opinions, anymore are welcome!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I have had many bikes, and have sold and traded them thru out my life. Now at 50 I bought the 1098. Uncomfortable to sit on, arms get tired, very light, I am lucky to 100 miles to a tank of gass, tires go bald in under 3000 miles.
    This is the best handling, strongest low end torque, balls out fun machine I have ever ridden. I told the Wife don't let me sell this one.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Do you know of Dave Bowers, who owns a ducati 999R? he is from waite hill, ohio. Good friend of mine in fact. You two are around the same age as well!

Dave's advice was if I wasn't going to use it in the twisties, then dont bother getting the bike. However he did mentioned service charges etc, but dont know if he is educated on the new ducati 1098 yet.

i'll have to push him to get reed of the R and get the 1098R.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Well, there was actually a 999 between the R1 and the 1098. I think you'll find the 1098 just a little less comfortable than the R1 but much more narrow. The difference in power delivery will be very noticeable.

I still think the 1098's gearing is a little tall but that's not too hard to fix. Weightwise, I think they'll feel the same.

Some dealers offer demo rides but becareful. That may be enough to make the deal.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

This video may be of interest. It's a 1098S vs. a 2007 R1:

http://www.motorfreaks.nl/diverse/r1-2007-vs-ducati-1098s.html

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Good video, but I'll keep my 1098s. Had a 2005 R1 before I purchased the Ducati. Love the Ducati. Handles better, looks better (to me anyway), power distruibution is more in line with what I like. Owned two RC51 and like the twin power. Besides, Troy is going to clean house in 2008.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

thanks for the posts!! I personally think the 04-06 R1 and the 1098 are one hell of a sexy looking bike. In fact Ducati model the new design with an R1 in the studio.

I'll look forward in doing some ducati shopping, heck that 848 looks wonderful.

Also to my message above to RUMINISKI, i spoke with my friend Dave just 20 minutes ago and he informed me that he has purchased the Desmocedici. So i wont be wasting my time pushing him on purchasing a 1098R.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information