Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 1098 or 848???

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1098 or 848???

Hi, just joined the forum, been looking for a while seems to be a great forum.
    Just in the process of selling my Harley Davidson, decided its time for a change!
    Would like some advice please....my question is 1098 or 848? have been riding harleys for some time now ( custom softails not armchairs!) this will be my first sport bike and i cant quite decide....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1098 or 848???

1098, 1198, one of these two. 1198 is new for '09, same bike with 10 more HP. If you get and 848, you will spend your days looking at it thinking how beautiful it is and wishing you had gotten the 1098-1198. Than you will spend you evenings on here grumpy and disgruntled because of your tiny motorcycle.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1098 or 848???

At lease a 1098....... if you want to save money from upgrade to another new bike.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1098 or 848???

xharley,
    On the face of it this might seem like a good place to to ask that question. If you have been looking at this site for anytime you will have observed that FEW people can answer your question with any objectivity. It seems to have become my motto, but there are a lot of threads on here that address this issue. It is all in what you are looking for in a bike. Based on looks alone few laymen are going to know the difference. Properly set up the 848 is a great bike and I have heard of far fewer problems surrounding the "little brother". Insurance costs are far less, even if you have a great record. I know because I looked into it. There is something to be said about having the primer bike in the line up, the components are better and the bike gets to the next red light faster. Coming from a harley though all theses bike are going to be fast. There are a lot of factors that you need to consider. I CHOSE to get an 848 as many here have and have not lost one nights sleep or looked in envy at the 1098's that I see. Hope this is at least some help. Whatever you decide have fun and ride safe.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1098 or 848???

thanks for the advice everyone, gonna test ride both next week, leaning towards the 1098 simply because i dont want to have those regrets of not choosing the big daddy!! just cant wait to get my hands on one, in the UK at the moment you can get 0% finance deal on the 1098, that makes it even more tempting....

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1098 or 848???

1098. enough said.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1098 or 848???

Why is everyone knocking on the "little Brother"? I picked up an 09 white 848 two days ago. So... lets list the reasons of why I chose the 848 over th 1098/1198.
    a) CHEAPER= more money left for accessories
    b) LOOKS= I get the same looks as if I was on the "big brother"
    c) SPEED= who cares if the 1098/1198 gets to the next red light .001 seconds faster than me
    d) TRACK= all real riders know that its not about the bike but the rider. I'm at the track to enjoy my bike not racing for money. If I was racing for money... guess what? we would be on a different class.
    e) SIZE(P*n*s)=If you choose a 1098/1198 over the 848 just cause people will say that you got the small Duc, you have more serious problems with your insecurity. Or you are kinda small "down there" and need a big bike to replace some lost ground.

When I was up in NY I had a GSX-R750. one day I went riding upstate with a bunch of guys,R1s,R6s,ZX6sZX9s,ZX10s,GSXR1000s, you get the pic. One guy had a 96 600F2 smoking Joe. Needles to say that when it came to twisties no one could catch up that guy. To sum it all up, its all about what you are comfortable with. whatever you buy make sure you can get the most out of it. Too much power is useless if you dont use it

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1098 or 848???

I geuss we knock it because:

a)CHEAPER= It is a cheaper version with somewhat less topshelf componentry

b)LOOKS= Because it looks exactly the same as our higher end bikes and it would be nice if there was a bigger distinction.

c)SPEED= The 1098 gets to the next red light faster, and you can definetly feel the torque difference in the seat of the pants.

d)TRACK= At the track once you are no longer a track newbie and are pushing your bike as hard as you can, the extra power and torque DO come into play and it is like a drug even when you are new to pushing your bikes limits. When you crank it WFO and feel it in your chest, you want it again and again.

e)SIZE= Because no matter what anyone says the 1098 / 1198 is the biggest baddest most powerfull V-Twin ever sold to the public. Some of us are used to having the biggest "equipment", and our wives would settle for nothing less.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1098 or 848???

test ride both.

And then make your own mind up.

You will not get a more objective repsonse than this from anyone on here.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

1098 or 848???

Coming from the biggest 848 basher out there...

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information