Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sitting in traffic

When I have to commute during rush hour traffic, The bike can sit for a couple of minutes, then move and not get out of first or second gear. I then could sit again for a couple of mopre minutes. My question is this. How much of this can a bike take? I have an 06 S83. It does have a radiator, but a vey small one. For the most part, it is air cooled. I donot want to over heat to cause damage to the bike. I may just leave the bike at home when I have to commute in rush hour traffic.

Jim

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sitting in traffic

Rush hour traffic jam suck! That's why I love my flex hours. I start at 7AM and finish usually at 3PM. No Rush hour traffic for me!

Is there a temp gauge on the S83? Does the radiator have a small fan?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sitting in traffic

That's an oil cooler, technically, and they don't have fans. Jim, you might look into a dipstick thermometer. I paid $50 for mine a few years back and it allows me to monitor the relative engine temp so I can let it cool down if necessary. To answer your question, it takes a hot day and a long delay to get dangerous, but I'd still shut the engine down if you're sitting still for any period. If you're moving at all you have little to worry about.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sitting in traffic

Ah I see, I should've done some checking on the S83 before... oil cooler of course.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sitting in traffic

A cheap alternative is to buy one of those electric fans ands run it to a relay system or a switch you can turn on and off. But Rowdy is right. Unless it is a really hot day and you are just idling for long periods than you should be ok.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sitting in traffic

Thjanks guys. I knew I could count on you guys. Rowdy, I will look into the dip stick thermometer. What a great idea.

Jim

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sitting in traffic

The S83/ Intruder 1400 is just fine idling all day in traffic on a hot day. My GF moved here from Texas, where ruch hour metro-plex traffic in 105-degree heat was the daily routine. We are both in Atlanta now, and have been stuck in traffic for litterally hours at a time, and she has never had a problem.
    Put the bike in neutral when you can though, rather than holding the clutch in, as the only hot weather/ stuck in traffic issue is that the clutch fluid will overheat. To avoid this change the fluid every year.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sitting in traffic

I dont now what your laws are there, but here in sunny california we dont sit in rush hour traffic. we cut the lanes and dont usually get stuck sitting in line. It can be a little scarey from time to time, but it sure beats sitting in line like all the people in their cars.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sitting in traffic

The traffic that I sit in is on busy streets, not highways. Once I get on the highway, I can ride in the hov, heaviy occupied vehicle, lane. It's just a couple of miles to get to the highway.

Jim

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Sitting in traffic

Good thread. I'm in the Texas heat and rush hour five-days-a-week. Get stuck sitting in traffic at a few traffic lights going and coming to work. Right now, it's around 100 degrees during the 5pm ride home. I kinda worried about the strain on the bike too.

No lane splitting options for me. Texans do NOT take kindly to that stuff.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

How many letters in the word Rabroad

Thread Information