Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Intruder 800

Yeah, when he sent me the original pic of it, I thought of you and your bike... I found a post with your pics afterwards, and studied it really well. Love your paint job!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Intruder 800

Alas, it is no more.

July 14, 2007.

However, the newly purchased bike will slowly progress towards something similar as the one in my sig used to look. I just found out Sunday night that the tank was damaged more than I thought and I may not be able to use it again. I will need to talk to my painter/welder guy to determine the extent of the damage and whether or not I can salvage that part.

To answer another question, the S50/VS800 (and S83/VS1400) have one jug flipped around to provide the symmetric pipe look. Incidently, this is also what makes adding EFI to these Intruders damned near impossible, and at least too cost prohibitive to make it a reality.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Intruder 800

The balancing between the S50 and intruder is quite a bit different too.

Really, I wouldn't even be comparing the bikes as they're so different. The Intruder's a great bike though, and definitely better for stop and go traffic than the S50. In my experience the S50 likes to get a bit too hot when sitting. The M50 doesn't seem to have this problem. Better fan or something (though loud fan)

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Intruder 800

The s50 boulevard and the vs800 intruder are basically the same bike. The only difference you like feel in balancing is the s50 has drag bars which put your hands out wider, which makes the weight feel more evenly distributed throughout your hands as you manuever the bike.

All bikes get a bit too hot when sitting still. Air flow cools them down. The s50/vs800 is likely running cooler than your M50, as it'll take 5-20 minutes sitting still before the fan on the intruder even kicks on.

Okay, that's not accurate. It could be running hotter, just that the thermostat of the intruder doesn't need to kick in until a hotter temp. is reached as compared to the M50. I hear my intruder's fan kick on...about 3 times a year, if I'm lucky.

As far as the 'intruder's better than the s50' in stop and go traffic...again, they're the same bike.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Intruder 800

The S50 is the VS800 only renamed most parts are interchangeable matter of fact half the parts I changed on my bike are listed for the VS800. My 06 S50 Manuel says VS800 not S50. The M50 is wider and 100 pounds heavier and has fuel injection instead of carbs. Also the M50 has a higher 5th gear for the highway. Parts are not interchangeable at all with it.

New Intruder 800

Damn. If riding the M50 on the freeway is a revvy affair, the S50 must be down right frantic. :madd:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Intruder 800

it can be - but the low gearing also means that it is one of the fastest cruisers off the line. It'll out run a Kawi mean streak, a HD Sportster 1200 and many other bigger displacement cruisers.

You get used to the high revving engine noise - but I'm always looking for 6th gear!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Intruder 800

In the 1/4 mile, the 1200 sporty will beat the VS800 if both riders are equal. I've got video proof (of me losing, lol). My only defense was the guy weighed 100 pounds less than I did. My bike looked and sounded better, though. :bluethum:

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Intruder 800

100 pounds is a significant difference - I'd hardly call that equal riders!
    My source for the performance is from Chuck Hawks site page 1
    and Chuck Hawks site page 2

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

New Intruder 800

I meant equal in terms of skill/experience at a drag strip. If you've never been on a drag strip, I'd likely take you with about a second or two to spare, regardless of your weight.

If you want performance numbers, you should also consider www.mcnews.com's performance reviews. They don't list an S50/VS800, but they do list the 1200 sporty in two flavors. One faster and one slower than Chuck Hawk's site.

Change the "1" in the URL to 2, 3, or 4 for more numbers.

Some more numbers if you want to look:
    Here.

Here.

...but note the last two don't compare with a 1200 sporty.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information