Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C90 check oil lamp is on

I recently got C90 2006. I noticed that on power up and after shutdown, the oil lamp is ON and the display says check.
    So, I checked the oil and looks like it was low. I got new oil and added almost 4qt (which means there was a bit of oil in it but not very much).
    I started the engine and let it idle for few minutes. Turned it off for few minutes and checked to make sure it shows Full (the oil looks dark, so I may have to drain it in few days and put new one - what do you think?).
    But the oil lamp and check display is still ON. I drove it around the neighborhood (just in case it needs a drive cycle to reset) but it's still ON.
    Any ideas?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C90 check oil lamp is on

FOUR QUARTS LOW?!?!?!?!?!

EEEK!

I imagine the sending unit for the light is gummed up or toast from being so low on oil, and from the motor running so hot due to lack of oil. Maybe put some Marvel Mystery oil in the crankcase, let it run for a few minutes, let it sit overnight, then change the oil.
    But the light is the least of your problems. Using a little oil betweenoil changes is OK, but being more than a half quart down is s sign of a problem. Being four quarts down is a SERIOUS problem. You HAVE to find out where the oil wnet- is it leaking out (loose drain plug, leaking filter, leaking line to cooler, bad gasket somewhere) or is it being burned (bad or broken ring, bad valve seal). You need to figue this out before you continue to ride the bike, or you could cause thousands of dollars woth of damage to your motor.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C90 check oil lamp is on

How in the hell did you not fry your motor?? Or maybe you did? It only holds 4.5 qts with a filter change. I check mine for leaks and level weekly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C90 check oil lamp is on

I got it 2 weeks ago and didn't ride it much since I didn't have a plate - so ...
    The guy I got it from had it for a year (got it last year new) but only had 400 miles on it. So, maybe they never filled it up all the way (I can only hope).
    Seems to be running just fine. The couple of times I rode it, it didn't get too hot.
    Of course, I will check for leaks now that it has oil in it

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C90 check oil lamp is on

I would say change the oil and filter immediately!! Check the oil level and for leaks religiously!! DON"T skimp and buy cheap oil!! These bikes are not cheap to repair. Buy a good MC oil or a good synthetic. I personally use Rotella T 5W 40 synthetic which you can pick up in any WalMart, about $16/gal.

When you change the filter make absolutely sure that the old gasket is not still attached to the motor. A sure way to cause a leak. I go the expensive route when it comes to filters. I use K&N-138C, about $15. This is a chrome filter with a nut on the end for easy removal.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C90 check oil lamp is on

Sweet, merciful crap. That's almost completely empty. There's no way it had enough oil pressure to properly lubricate the engine. There's a very strong chance that it's sustained engine damage, and I'd get my money back if at all possible. I'd be knocking on the previous owner's door right now (and kicking myself for buying it in the first place).

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C90 check oil lamp is on

Nah, the oil filter still had a cup left in it.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C90 check oil lamp is on

well, I just sent an email to the Suzuki service shop explaining all of this and asking for them to do a complete check. I will let you know what they find out (may be next week before I can get the bike in).
    I do appreciate all of your advice.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C90 check oil lamp is on

There are other possiblilities.
    Maybe he sold it because he was tired of putting oil in it all the time.
    OR
    Maybe YOU don't have it figured out quite right and now it is 3 1/2 quarts OVERFILLED.

I'd say: Get it to a dealer immediately.
    Is there any warranty left?
    Hope so. You might need it.......at least to fix the warning light.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

C90 check oil lamp is on

That thought occurred to me too, but I'm not sure how a person could do that.

You didn't fill it to the tube neck, did you?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information