Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Killing the engine starting off from a start

Regardless of your experience, I'd at least take a real ride before making any judgments. 11 miles ain't much.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Another issue is that the Honda Spirit clutch is not nearly as hardy as the C50's. The C50's motor isn't a torque monster but it's got a lot more balls than the Honda engine. This requires a more durable clutch. When I've ridden my buddies Spirit, I swear I could work the clutch with just my pinky and still have plenty of finger strength left over. No way I could do that with my M50.

I'm in no way dogging out the Honda. It's a great bike. Before I posted I searched some Spirit reviews and read a review that parallels my opinion.

From "motorcycle.com": "There's nothing wrong with the bike, but I wish that there was so I could think of something distinguishing or characteristic about this bike!... Riding, or attempting to ride, the Shadow at a semi-sporting pace was not a rewarding experience. And even from a cruising perspective it wasn't spectacular either. It feels so bland that it is difficult to have any sort of remarkable experiences or impressions on it. But I'm sure it's dead reliable and it would provide thousands of years of trouble-free and completely boring years of ownership".

http://www.motorcycle.com/shoot-outs/honda-shadow-spirit-750

I think with more practice and developing hand strength you'll see this problem resolve.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

That might be the answer I am looking for. Main reason I posted to ask before going to the dealership is this is the first FI bike I have been on so I was not sure if I was going through something normal or not, plus it is a brand new bike and was not sure if it was because of tight cables that would work it's way out.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

i found the clutch on the M50 to be really tough to work when i first got it...

i stalled it quite a few times in the first month i had it... it finally loosened a bit... or i got better at clutch control

Thanks Womper. Keeping the fly zip. LOL

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Took it in today and saw my sales person. He got on it and immediately noticed it was off and sent it to service. Service loosened the clutch lever and it is doing better now. I did not noticed until my sales person pointed it out, but when the lever was pulled in all the way the clutch was already in the friction zone. I thought I was imagining it, but when I tried to move my bike with it in gear and pulling in the clutch it seemed harder to move than when it was in neutral, engine on or off. He said I had almost zero friction zone.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Uh oh, my bike is definitely harder to roll with clutch pulled, in gear, engine off.
    I thought it was normal, please someone say it's so!

nameless

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

afaik, this is normal if the oil is cold and hasn't moved in a while...

when it's in gear, it's sloshes the oil around and once it's moving, there will be a difference between neutral and in gear, albeit small.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

OK, with a properly adjusted clutch, where does the friction zone start as you let the clutch out? I lowered my clutch and break levers down about 1/4 inch a few days ago on my new C50, thought the clutch a little tight so adjusted it some with the adjustment screw at the lever, now I've noticed that the friction zone is real, real close to the handle (1/8 inch). Is that where it should be?
    --Clyde

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I am not sure since the clutch lever is not adjusted out fully. They wanted to leave a little room for breaking in and cable stretching.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information