Know thyself
~ Plato
Now that’s some sound advice: “Know thyself.” Thanks Plato! Hey, you’re probably right as you’re universally seen as one of the most influential philosophers of all time. But why such a short quote? Why does it feel like such an open door? Why is it important? And why is it so hard… Know thyself. Do you know yourself? Will you ever? Man, this short quote raises so many questions, psychological questions, philosophical questions, existential questions even.
I sure didn’t know where to start. Knowing yourself seems like a wise thing to do, like powerful knowledge. I mean, if you - of all people: the one that spends 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 52 weeks a year (and then some) with you - don’t know who you are. Who on earth will?! On the other hand, you probably know lotsa people that think they know you, really know you. And you know they’re wrong most of the time…but incredibly right at times. Frustrating stuff.
Self-discovery

Hi! It’s me.
Hi me, nice to finally meet you! What is it that drives you?
Getting to know yourself can be quite fun. You could do a virtual self interview, but for most people that’s too strange to even ponder doing. Thankfully there are a plethora (I always wanted to use that word someday) of ways to do it easier. Let me provide you with some links:

I’m not kidding, these are all excellent ways to get to know yourself a little better. Even the astrological signs, and yes! EVEN if you don’t believe in astrology. That’s because the results of the tests are not important. It’s even not important to verify (or even know) if the result is the ‘right’ result. It doesn’t matter.
What matters is what your emotional reactions are when you read the results and the accompanying descriptions. What parts do you recognize yourself in? What parts totally missed the point? It’s those parts and those effects that hide a secret, or a hint to who you are.
An example
I was born in the month of March in the year 1976 and that makes me a Dragon in Chinese Astrology.
Yay! A dragon! Cool! What does that say about me? Would I have been equally enthusiastic if my sign would be that of a Dog or a Rat? Probably not No!
I love being a dragon, because it’s a mythical being. The only being in the Chinese signs that doesn’t really exist in reality. Now that says something about me. It tells me that I have a craving for being unique, for being special. Really special even.
The element of the Dragon in 1976 is Fire.
Fire is the element that amplifies the traits of a Dragon. Yay! Why do I like that the element amplifies the traits of the Dragon? Both the good and the bad ones! Looking at myself and my behavior, I don’t really recognize this. But I certainly would love to be more outspoken in some of my traits! Get the balls to say and do stuff! This part appeals to me, because there’s potential to grow for me.
A valuable life lesson for this clever creature would be to absorb the principles of flexibility, compassion and tolerance. Being high and mighty can serve to inspire others, but it also keeps Dragons from living their lives to the fullest. If Dragons can learn to balance their quest for success with an appreciation for the little things, their life will be more than worthwhile.
Euhm…wow. Where to begin? They call me clever (I don’t mind flattery…), high and mighty, inspire others. Hmm…yes please! Live life to the fullest (Richard Branson’s motto…I wonder if he’s a Dragon too), quest for success (hey reader…are you recognizing this yet?). But wait…these strenghts…are those my pitfalls too?! They couldn’t be…
How this helps me

All kidding aside, parts of the description appealed to me, and parts didn’t. That says something about me, and I can work with that. Am I high and mighty, or do I inspire to be so? It doesn’t matter really. The fact that it triggers me, is an entry point to self discovery.
Doing these kind of exercises helps me to ask myself questions. Whether it’s astrology, MBTI or enneagram, they help me to do some self-discovery, to get to learn to know my multi-faceted self. The things I’m proud of, the things I need to learn, the things I admire, and so on. Every piece of knowledge can help me move forward. It might be by becoming aware of a hidden strength I can use. Or by discovering an area of improvement on things that really matter to me. And sometimes it just makes me feel good about myself.
How this could help you too!

You can do this too! Just take a test and read the results. Take two markers, pencils or crayons. Mark the stuff that appeals to you green (or yellow, orange, blue or whatever color you really like), and mark the stuff that you dislike red (or black, brown, purple or whatever color you don’t like).
Now review those sections and get to know yourself a little better. Happy discovering and have fun!
Have you done the tests, or do you know your type already? What did you learn about yourself? Did it give you new insights? Or did it reconfirm the ones that you already had?
Yet another original post from How to be an OriginalPersonal Core Values are the foundation of your happiness. Do you know what your five most important values are? And how you can use them to change your life for the better? Buy Personal Core Values, the eBook.
</img>
</img> </img> </img> </img> </img>