Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Stacking Snow Tires With Rims On - Damage Tires?

Due to lack of space, I had to store my truck's winter tires, with the rims on, one on top of the other, I was told that over time, the pressure on the bottom tires from the weight of the metal rims + tires on top will damage them, eventually causing them to tear apart at high speeds. Apparently, tires can handle weight when it's on their thread area but not when it's on their sides, What's the deal with that?

So, what are you talking about, three tires on top, one on the bottom, each tire weighing 50 lbs or so, that would be 150 lbs weight on the bottom tire, 100 lbs on the third and so on. The bottom one would get all the weight, the others not so much. You can rotate them if you wish, putting the top one on the bottom. The weight on the bottom one is not all in one spot and so it is distributed all around the tire. It is not as if it had 200 lbs of weight on one spot.

When the tire is on the car, the weight is far greater then that, and the force pushing out sideways is greater, so I don't see what the problem is.

Tires only last four to five years, if used normally, and in that time, I can't see how stacking them for a few months each year will hurt anything.

I have done it with tires for a few years, switching summer and winter tires. No problem. And when I put them in a pile I probably don't put the same one on the bottom that was there before.

If it bothers you, put two tires in each pile, make two piles.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information