Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Fearful Parents, Amazing Boyfriend & First Trip?

I'm a soon-to-be 19 year old who has been an obedient daughter to both my parents, my entire life. I have turned down lots of opportunities for my family but that is what my job has been since I was a little girl.

My boyfriend who I've known for 3 years (online) and once we finally met, hit it off really great. Most of my family loves him, my Gram who is my mother's mother liked him, my little sister, my dad even said he was a lot like me and my dog who hates strangers loved him the first day.

He's asked me to come up to stay with him for 6 days, days after my birthday. I desperately want to go but my parents are not going to be very happy. I'll be paying for everything, including the plane ticket which I have been saving up for. I'll be staying at his parent's house which he pays rent and they really want to meet me.

What should I do?
    Please help me?
    What would you do?
    Do I have a right to go?

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been in a situation VERY similar to yours and it sounds to me like there shouldn't be a lot of problems with you being able to go. You and your parents have already met him in-person (from what I'm gathering), and you're offering to pay for everything.

I would just get your parents to sit down and talk to you about the situation. Tell them that you feel you've been giving up opportunities and that this is something you really want to do. Ask them why they're feeling uncomfortable about you going and try to reassure them as best you can. Point out that, since they wanted to meet your boyfriend and were able to, it would make sense that his parents would feel the same way about you. Maybe you could even get all the parents talking together on the phone about it, I'm sure that would make your parents feel better!

And, as everyone else has said, you're 19! It's really your decision anyway!

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I've been in a situation VERY similar to yours and it sounds to me like there shouldn't be a lot of problems with you being able to go. You and your parents have already met him in-person (from what I'm gathering), and you're offering to pay for everything.

I would just get your parents to sit down and talk to you about the situation. Tell them that you feel you've been giving up opportunities and that this is something you really want to do. Ask them why they're feeling uncomfortable about you going and try to reassure them as best you can. Point out that, since they wanted to meet your boyfriend and were able to, it would make sense that his parents would feel the same way about you. Maybe you could even get all the parents talking together on the phone about it, I'm sure that would make your parents feel better!

And, as everyone else has said, you're 19! It's really your decision anyway!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What should I do? go see him.

What would you do?if i love someone and known them for that long i would go up there.

Do I have a right to go?legally your 19 you can do whatever you want no matter what your parents think.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    What should I do? go see him.

What would you do?if i love someone and known them for that long i would go up there.

Do I have a right to go?legally your 19 you can do whatever you want no matter what your parents think.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information