Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Which model?

thor95

Which model?

Turns out my 10 year old 4700 has died finally.
    So I'm looking at the available replacements which do not list the model numbers on the ExpressVu website.
    I don't need HDTV and won't for a while, I don't need PVR but it would be nice to have.
    I see plenty of trouble in the forums with the PVR models. Is the currently available new PVR model still having issues?

Looking for some guidance on whether or not it's worth investing in a new receiver that may be problematic or should I change suppliers (move to Rogers/StarChoice) to get a more stable receiver since I need to replace anyway.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which model?

Despite what you read, most units from all the satellite and cable companies are pretty reliable. Most problem posts you see here are from a small minority of customers who have real problems but remember, if folks don't have any problems they dont' post.

You can get a 4100, 5900, 6141 or 9242.

I recommend reviewing the sticky threads for each model.

Newbie - NLP

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Which model?

I just bought a 9242 (HD PVR PLUS on web site) on Friday and installed it myself (I've had a single 3100 for years). So far I love it, no problems whatsover. Even the SD looks way better than from the 3100.
    Hugh has a point I often have to remind myself, how many regular Bell subscibers who have never had a problem would search out a wonderful site like this to post they have never had a problem.
    I was seriously considering switching to Starchoice before getting HD due to the complaints about Bell HD on this site. I can't get over how great it looks! Even the wife was impressed!

I_Want_My_HDTV

Which model?

EV's HD PVRs are no worse than their HD receivers or PVRs and receivers from other BDUs. (That's not to say they are 100% reliable but you don't have a better choice for HD PVR hardware.) SD receivers are probably the most reliable but you don't want to stay in the 20th century forever. OTOH, if you aren't interested in HD, an SD receiver is cheap at $3/mo and recordings can be made on an external VCR, PVR or PC. EV's SD PVRs are Ok too but they are basically obsolete in today's HDTV oriented marketplace.

thor95

Which model?

Thanks for everyone's input. Turns out my old 4700 didn't die, I had connector problems outside.
    But I am keeping my eye out on the posts. I fully expect this old dear to pack it in anytime.
    I am hoping to build the ultimate Home Theatre system down the road that I am saving up for which will include HDTV but until I can afford that, I am happy with old SD. I want to do this up right and do it once so making sure I've got enough.

These Forums are great even if they can be a little bit negative with the problems.
    I hope to see more positive posts from consumers who enjoy the performance of what they have. That would help balance things out a little.

Thanks again for the feedback. Valuable for sure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information