Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Track...sprinting or distance?

The past two years of track i've done distance running in track and also cross country. I would say I was a pretty average distance runner (800-2:39, 3200-13:22), but lately i've been wondering if my talent is really in sprinting. I do really well on workouts with shorter distances (hills, 400s) and find that in the longer workouts (mile repeats) I fall behind. I'm built like a sprinter and my best part of a cross country race is the last 200 meters, I always pass at least a few people. I love my distance group and doing distance workouts and am concerned that if I try sprinting I won't feel like I'm getting a workout every day. I would also be really sad to leave my friends in distance. What should I do?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    I see no problem here. First of all, if it's friendship you seek, continue running XC.
    I found running XC fosters a camaraderie that wil build lifelong friendships, regardless of your ability. Things are a little looser on the track team because there are so many events. The weight (s.p. , disc , hammer, javelin) people hang together; the pole vaulters are a unique bunch as are the high jumpers. Track & field allows you to experiment with various events & distances, especially early in the season. Don't be too shy to wander over to the throwing or weight areas and ask your teamates to give you a quick lesson on what they do. You might surprise yourself. A kid on my team used to "play around" with a discus after his distance workout. In a big multiteam meet last Spring he asked coach, "I have no chance to be competitive here in the 3200, can I enter the Discus event instead ?" Coach said, "son, you're a runner not a thrower, but go ahead." He threw 100 ft. 10", enough for 6th place, and picked up 1 point for the team!
    Durring the time trials, enter the 100M,200M, 400M; see what you're made of. Give the L.J & T.J. a shot, also. Personally, I always managed to be the 7th person
    on our XC team (for three years, always 7th !), but what the heck ,it was varsity.
    In track I enjoyed being a sprinter, usually managing to take a 2nd to 4th place in every dual meet. Placed 2nd in the long jump in the sectionals. Not bragging (well, maybe just a little) , but my point is, don't lock yourself into thinking that you're only good for one thing. Experiment & diversify ; enjoy.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads
    Food for thought:

All runners who compete need a closing kick. So, learning the proper technique to sprinting 100m with standing starts is very helpful.

A better 100m run – form and technique will get you there. - ptfa.geo answer:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100702191734AAczh6q

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

After that, distances will shape your mindset on improving your speed. You have to find suitable techniques, to your style of running to achieve faster running times. You can compete in any number of Track and Field events.

Running Technique Keys:

Faster Running in General:
    Running faster requires - either, a higher out put of leg rotation or running on your toes or both. Pumping your elbows to the back harder and faster is the key to getting a higher leg rotation. However, XC runners should stay away from being too high on their toes - risk of twisting an ankle is too great.

A racing shoe that properly fits your foot and used for race purpose only, will enhance your speed. Placing a thin insole in your racing shoe makes your racing shoe feel very comfortable for running in without soaks. Replace the insoles when they begin to show signs of wear or when they are flat in your impact area. They can be bought in some grocery stores.

Faster 100m require -
    100% application of arms and legs at a maximum output rate.

Faster 200m (curve) requires -
    special lean techniques for running the curve at top speed. The straight lean for wide curves and the "T" Torque for tight curves are the dormant lean styles. Application of the 100m running technique is used for the straight.

Faster 400m requires -
    strategy, stamina, cursing power and a burst of closing kick energy. Having enough energy to close strong is the key.

Faster Speed For Races Greater than 400m requires -
    strategy, higher leg rotation endurance, cursing power, body ventilation and relaxation skills, an on-and-off valve for generating power with your arms and, a final burst of closing kick energy. Having enough energy to close strong is the key. (Your technique is knowing when to use these essentials.)

Faster Hurdles:

Requirement:
    One needs to have an ability to go air born in a balanced manner and then return to earth by hitting the ground running.

The secrete to hurdlers' speed is in the placement of their starting blocks, the rhythm in their running between hurdles, the use of their arms, the placement of their lead leg after clearing the hurdle and, the methods needed to close out the last four hurdles.

The hurdle heights for high schools are:
    American Girls - 30 inches and 33 inches
    American Boys - 36 inches and 39 inches

The hurdle heights for college and open divisions are:
    American Women - 30 inches and 33 inches
    American Men - 36 inches and 42 inches

Faster Race Walking:

Requires:
    Sustained pressure on the hip joints. One must have an ability to keep one foot on the ground at all times while walking forward after locking the knee joint. Power swings with the elbow in conjunction with accentuated hip swivel provides the power behind speed walking.

Training Days:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100909182936AAHVBwn

The Principles Applied Towards Field Events:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=AkpTsW5LFtKZ0M0TLVDr8Qbsy6IX;_ylv=3?qid =20100911071307AA37UMc&show=7#profile-info-Faj0PR0Aaa

How to run 200m faster - ptfa.geo answer:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100409193350AA6wglZ&r=w#NbUvWjG8UjUgPZ b5.Hnw

400m training:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20100624141914AAFqIGf

http://www.iaaf.org/

http://www.trackandfieldnews.com/

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information