Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
    Warren T

Why would anyone consider Lincoln one of the worst Presidents?

I consider him the greatest President this nation ever had. He was one greatest political geniuses this country has ever seen.

Phil
    he violated the constitution with his emancipation proclamation,and he helped to create the civil war with his ideals i love the thumbs down because i pointed out he committed treason. he didn't outlaw slavery the 14th amendment did. he had no authority to do so. why do you think i am a eacist because of what i wrote,slavery was wrong,but it was constitutional at the time and lincoln swore to uphold it

Westhill
    There is no real, objective reason for saying that Lincoln was one of the worst presidents.

What is behind the opinion is a certain viewpoint:

- A sore loser orientation
    - Raised as a white person in the south
    - A belief that the welfare of the white planters was more important than human freedom and rights
    - A belief in the myth that the ante-bellum south was a great place to live.

whatisreality
    I agree and he was shot trying to defend and even delayed this country from the international foreign bank takeover of the Federal reserve. He was a brilliant man and a true American. Look at this first quote and see where GW BUSH and our country could have benefitted from his advice. Give me one great quote from GW BUSH....you cannot!

Allow the president to invade a neighboring nation, whenever he shall deem it necessary to repel an invasion, and you allow him to do so whenever he may choose to say he deems it necessary for such a purpose - and you allow him to make war at pleasure.
    Abraham Lincoln

"We, the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution." Abraham Lincoln

"The money powers prey upon the nation in times of peace and conspire against it in times of adversity. It is more despotic than a monarchy, more insolent than autocracy, and more selfish than bureaucracy. It denounces as public enemies, all who question it's methods or throw light upon it's crimes. I have two great enemies, the Southern Army in front of me and the Bankers in the rear. Of the two, the one at my rear is my greatest foe.. corporations have been enthroned and an era of corruption in high places will follow, and the money powers of the country will endeavor to prolong it's reign by working upon the prejudices of the people until the wealth is aggregated in the hands of a few, and the Republic is destroyed. Abraham Lincoln

A house divided against itself cannot stand.
    Abraham Lincoln
    Always bear in mind that your own resolution to succeed is more important than any other.
    Abraham Lincoln

Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?
    Abraham Lincoln

America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.
    Abraham Lincoln

And in the end it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.
    Abraham Lincoln

Any people anywhere, being inclined and having the power, have the right to rise up, and shake off the existing government, and form a new one that suits them better. This is a most valuable - a most sacred right - a right, which we hope and believe, is to liberate the world.
    Abraham Lincoln

As I would not be a slave, so I would not be a master. This expresses my idea of democracy.
    Abraham Lincoln

As our case is new, we must think and act anew.
    Abraham Lincoln

Avoid popularity if you would have peace.
    Abraham Lincoln

Ballots are the rightful and peaceful successors to bullets.
    Abraham Lincoln

Be sure you put your feet in the right place, then stand firm.
    Abraham Lincoln

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    Abraham Lincoln

Books serve to show a man that those original thoughts of his aren't very new at all.
    Abraham Lincoln

Character is like a tree and reputation like a shadow. The shadow is what we think of it; the tree is the real thing.
    Abraham Lincoln

Common looking people are the best in the world: that is the reason the Lord makes so many of them.
    Abraham Lincoln

Die when I may, I want it said by those who knew me best that I always plucked a thistle and planted a flower where I thought a flower would grow.
    Abraham Lincoln

Discourage litigation. Persuade your neighbors to compromise whenever you can. As a peacemaker the lawyer has superior opportunity of being a good man. There will still be business enough.
    Abraham Lincoln

Don't interfere with anything in the Constitution. That must be maintained, for it is the only safeguard of our liberties.
    Abraham Lincoln

Don't worry when you are not recognized, but strive to be worthy of recognition.
    Abraham Lincoln

Yggdrasil
    Why? Because they want to distract you from Bush?

Jon29Z
    Lack of intelligence! He was one of (if not The) the greatest Presidents!

Aha! It was Phil who said it! Now we know!

Shoeless Joe
    Racist Republicans feel that way because he outlawed slavery.

Edwin C
    Because they are southerners who are still pissed that they lost the Civil War. seriously, they need to get over it.

vote_usa_first
    You either want the evidence to make your decision, or you want answers that echo your existing opinion. Seek what opposes your views, it is the only way you can learn.

1) he killed equivalent of 9,000,000 americans. The largest slaughter of american citizens in history.

2) he backed a constitutional amendment to make slavery permanent when he was first elected - he campaigned on this, and mention it in his FIRST inaugural address

3) he changed the union from voluntary, to mandatory, as he FORCED the south to remain

4) he started the war over the south refusing to pay unfair taxes and refusal to follow unequal laws.

5) he imprisoned northern news papers who opposed him, some of the first violations of the constitution

6) he made slavery illegal in the south, but kept it fully legal in the north - part of his aggression against the south. just as he imposed MASSIVE taxes on the south, and small taxes on the north. Yes slavery is terrible, but in context, it was an economic terrorism against the south.

Take some time and read those who combat the lincoln cult. Their evidence is powerful. It brings many things to light, some of which you may have already known but overlooked.

Thomas DiLorenzo is a great author on the subject.
    http://mises.org/media.aspx?action=author&ID=425
    and search for the video interview on Lincoln.... It is a 1 hour CSPAN interview you will find very informative.

mike truss
    I agree that Lincoln was more than likely the greatest president we've ever had in American Political history. He was by far the most fair president we've ever known.

He truly cared about the people and the country. It is unfortunate that his time as president was wasted on dealing with a civil war.

I am glad he was in office when it did start and he led this country through the most difficult period of American History.

I often wonder what path America would have led into the future had he not had to deal with a civil war. It also makes me think where America would be had we not lost John F. Kennedy and Robert Kennedy to assassins.

Where would we be today as a country had we had the opportunity to see these great men serve out their terms of office and lives.

Yes, Lincoln was a great president and our country was so fortunate to have him in those dark times of American History.

No one in their right mind could claim that Lincoln was one of our worst presidents. The person or persons claiming this would have to many mental deficits to numerous to count.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What color is our footer?

Thread Information