Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dune...again!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dune...again!

Developing and making a film are two different things, it may have started in the 70's, but as you said yourself things changed; so the look of both film changed as well. It could very well have been that Alien would have been darker like the sequel, but we will never know now what the original vision was.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dune...again!

Quite. Oh, do you mean they did a good job? They lost a lot of the depth of the books. For example, there's a reason that Glorfindel can stand up to the Nazgul, and that reason does not apply to Arwen.

A movie of Dune is almost bound to lose the intricate plotting and the "wheels within wheels". If we're willing to discard that, I think the Lynch version is pretty good. I love it for the degree to which he captured the characters. They are all spot on. I also love the gorgeous visuals. There is a great deal which is good about that film.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dune...again!

I found LOTR books a bit wordy, so I don't really mind the loss of depth [as you put it] in the films. I enjoyed them.
    And I thought the film makers did a god job considering how much material they had to work with. Something has to go when you film a literary tome like that.
    But that's the prob making long books into movies, every fan of the book will be annoyed if their favourite bits are missed out in the film, and we all have our different favourite bits. Can't please all of us.

I thought the Lynch Dune movie was ok considering what technology was available to him back then.

And I welcome another attempt now that technology has progressed. I'm happy to see someone elses 'take' on one of my favourite books.

And I'm still casting this one in my mind.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Dune...again!

Wasn't the original something like 6 hours long before having to be cut right down.
    I like Dune, both the original and TV series that released.
    Have never read the books by Frank Herbert, i'm not really one for reading, and I guess that's a bonus when watching movies, too often I read how people watch a movie after reading the book and find so many faults to pick.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What comes after M0nday

Thread Information