Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

What Is So Special About Borat?

On the radio this morning the presenters were raving about the Borat film and saying how it is the biggest must see movie of the year and everyone will be queueing round the block to see it first on Friday. From the trailers it looks like a Crocodile Dundee type fish out of water film. But apparently it is going to be the funniest film ever made. I really dont know much about this Borat character other than Sacha Baron Cohen plays him. So what is so special about it and what kind of humour is it? I really dont get what the fuss is about yet.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Go to YouTube, type in "Borat" and judge for yourself!

Personally, I find him hilarious. But I'm sure once the film's been out for a bit, he will die a death like Ali G did.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

It is much more than the fish out of water comedy that it appears to be, it is more about what he says and the reactions of the people he is with. By playing Johnny Foreigner he is able to get away with so much more because people think that is just his culture. He is therefore able to be much more provocative, and often reveals deep-rooted prejudices and character flaws in seemingly respectable people as a result of his comments and behaviour. This is a trademark of Sacha Baron Cohen, whose other characters Ali G and Bruno are of a similar vein.

Surprisingly, seeing as his target appears to be "middle America" the reviews Stateside have been fantastic.

I haven't seen it yet of course, this is just what I have read on review sites!! Try www.rottentomatoes.com and search under Borat for the latest reviews.

I can't wait to see it, and have been laughing myself silly at the clips on YouTube and the trailers already!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

On Jonathan Ross on Friday he was extremely unfunny, just don't get it myself, whereas Ali G was superb.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Like Ali G before it, the Borat character only works when people don't know it's a character (as demonstrated by how unfunny he was on Jonathan Ross). This film will (I hope) be priceless. But after that, Mr Cohen will have to come up with yet another character.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Borat is a little tired methinks. Some of the things he was saying on Jonathan Ross were exactly the same of those on the Conan O' Brian show in the US. - And that was a few years back!

In one word: Nothing.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

I did not find Borat that funny during the sketches on the Ali G Show but from the footage and trailers I have seen of the movie, it looks hilarious and I look forward to seeing it soon.

However, I have read that Cohen is taking a break from Borat and his next project will be a movie version of Bruno.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the sum of 36 and 12

Thread Information