Welcome to Discuss Everything Forums...

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed.

Tags for this Thread

+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your local music scene

Hmmm...suburban central/east Massachusetts, a bunch of Rage cover banRAB and sh*tty instrumental acts. Boston has some good hardcore though?

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your local music scene

Maryland/Pa/D.C./ Va

I live in Maryland but am often times playing/going to shows in Pensilvania, D.C., and Virginia.

In Maryland the venues are hit or miss. In Baltimore Sonar, powerplant, hammerjacks, and various others are main stays their and banRAB are constintly trying to get a regular gig spot at Sonar. Sonar has a good crew, management, and employees in all of Baltimore, from what I have seen anyway. Towson has one venue alot of banRAB hit the The Richer Theatre. If try to avoid going their, it's small (600 max) and sound is horrid. When I played their no one could do sound to save their lives, I could only hear drums and guitar, it's pathetic.

D.C. Is my favorite. Clubs their are great and are very personal, I try to get to a show their 2 time a month (I live 2 hours away). My favorite clubs are The 9:30 club and The Black Cat. I played both, and both have A+ everything. The scene is cool too. Alot of Post-hardcore and indie, because when you play in D.C. you feel as if Fugazi literly owns the town. What can I say? I love Fugazi.

Virginia for me is lame. The scene is full of hipsters and music elitists. Every person that played In a band in VA, that talked to me, is an innovative mix between Animal Collective and My Bloody Valintine. This is richman Va, I havent went as far as that city. The only cool thing is that you can smoke inside in VA because no one cares about the smoking laws.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your local music scene

I've only heard this year's Board Up The House, but I can strongly reccommend it. It's one of the best of the year in my opinion.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your local music scene

Minneapolis, MN USA:

Great hip-hop/rap don't really have to explain Eyedea and Abilities, P.O.S. Atmosphere and others-(also a lot of ****ty attemps at another lil' wayne)

Indie/Experiemental- has a smaller format but we have a local band named Why? thats pretty good.

Electronic - Pretty much just a ****ty rave scene. No one goes there for music people just show up to munch some rolls down and forget about life.

Modern Rock - There are A LOT of bar banRAB in Minneapolis. Most of them sound super ****ty very main stream but there are some dimonRAB in the rough. Down and Above is an amazing Rock/Alternitave band from Minneapolis.
    And obviously the Hold Steady...

Country - ....

Punk - There are some stabbs at hardcore punk here and there. Some people are heavily influenced by Canadian punk from Manitoba (Propagandhi, Comeback Kid) but no one really stanRAB out.

other than that you'll find terrible metal and terrible post-hardcore/screamo banRAB.

Your local music scene

^ Wow, very similar indeed! That place is huge though. Looks amazing, too!

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your local music scene

I straddle the border between LA and Orange counties, so what constitutes "local" is sorta up for interpretation.

My first pick is Long Beach's Wild Pack of Canaries. I caught them by complete accident when they played with my friend's band at a little free show in Pomona but I was totally blown away. I really dig this guy's reverby guitar lines and the vocals are really catchy in an atonal sorta way.
    [YOUTUBE]WAA4_kC78eM[/YOUTUBE]

Next is Stay Cool Forever, who literally live around the corner from me (in beautiful Pomona, CA). They make nostalgia-dripping synth-pop built around interlocking vocals loops. They've been getting a decent amount of blog love lately, and a self-released EP is really close to completion.
    [YOUTUBE]aWYet16d6Tg[/YOUTUBE]

Finally I'd like to point your attention to another Long Beach band, Vibra Optic '73. Don't be fooled by the duo set-up, these guys are making some of the most authentically funky jams out there today, armed with nothing but a drum kit and some meeean electric piano. And as if they couldn't be any cooler, they've been known to cover "Lady Day and John Coltrane" live.
    [YOUTUBE]JR6gbZ3nK9U[/YOUTUBE]

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your local music scene

hmm...Nashville...
    Well, down on broadway there are a lot of either heartbroken sappy country ballaRAB or bluegrassy stuff.

The only venue I go to these days is Rocketown, where a lot of local Death Metal, Acoustic, and Alternative banRAB go.
    It's hit and miss.

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your local music scene

I live about an hour away from Baltimore, which has an incredible music scene. There is a plethora of indie/experimental banRAB in the area. Some of the more notable ones are Dan Deacon, Double Dagger, Ponytail, WeekenRAB, and Wilderness. I'd like to note that Baltimore's scene is incredibly varied. You've got experimental, electronic, punk, art rock, hip hop, folk, ect. I really do feel privileged to live relatively close by. Can't wait to actually live in Charm City. (Oh, and the famous Frank Zappa himself was from Baltimore. =])

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your local music scene

Very good band indeed. As are An Albatross... gutted for leaving

Status
    Downloads
    Uploads

Your local music scene

Ah, bit late but I like discussing music venues. There's a couple of amazing ones in Liverpool.

My favourite venue in this city has to be..

Kazimier. Saw Foals here when they played a few dates at the beginning of the year upon release of Total Life Forever.. absolutely stunning, first time I'd ever been into this venue

Korova, awesome little basement venue. Saw a few good acts here like Be Your Own Pet and The Bronx. Not many pictures but this one is the best I could find.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Click here to log in

What is the number after 87?

Thread Information